You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-28 21:32:35

I am Gianluca

Xorg error: no screens found

Hello,

After having some problems with the glibc upgrade, I finally been able to complete the switch from /lib to /usr/lib.
Anyway, unfortunately even if now I can boot smoothly I encounter a problem after the login. Basically, after inserted username and password, selected to boot the XFCE Desktop Environment in CMD (Login Manager) I receive an error which tells me:

Check to see if you are wrapping your session with ck-launch-session or increase the timeout.

So, I've tried to boot manually typing this commands:

# xinit
# startxfce4
# startxfce4 with-ck-launch

but every time it returns me this error:

X.Org X Server 1.12.3
Release Date: 2012-07-09
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 3.4.4-3-ARCH i686
Current Operating System: Linux gianluca-laptop 3.4.5-1-ck #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 16 19:56:55 EDT 2012 i686
Kernel command line: root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/2bef0cce-027d-44fa-a086-056c390cd847 ro quiet vga=773 init=/bin/systemd elevator=bfq pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_rc6=1
Build Date: 9 July 2012 04:03:16 PM

Current version of pixman: 0.26.2
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting, (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational, (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time Sat Jul 28 21:16:14 2012
(==) using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support at http://wiki.x.org for help.
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.

Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error

Could it be related to glibc? I think so.
Before the upgrade of glibc the system used to start smoothly, without any problem before or after the login.
I'm going to post the /var/log/Xorg.0.log in a couple of days. I want to apologise from the beginning for this inconvenient but the only other way to access the internet for me is by a BlackBerry, and I cannot imagine how to save the Xorg log in the BlackBerry for copy it and post it in the forum. Ok, I can use the BB as an USB stick, but I prefer not risk doing something I'm not able to do, whilst on Monday I can do it comfortably in a library.

If it can help, in my system is installed the package xf86-video-intel 2.20.2-2, the xorg drivers for my hardware.

Thank you for your time,

Gianluca

Laptop: Acer Aspire S3 | Linux Mint Cinnamon 64-bit

#2 2012-07-28 21:53:55

masteryod

Re: Xorg error: no screens found

I don't know about CMD error but Xorg is supposed to be fired up from user's account not root's. All this video/DE things are supposed to run from regular user account.

#3 2012-07-29 00:07:30

nomorewindows

Do you have a /etc/X11/xorg.conf?

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#4 2012-07-29 06:51:04

I am Gianluca

nomorewindows wrote:

Do you have a /etc/X11/xorg.conf?

No, I don't have it. In /etc/X11/ I have only two directories: xinit and xorg.conf.d

#5 2012-07-29 06:58:39

ewaller
Administrator

Good morning.  Can you post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log    ??
I am afraid it is time for bed here on the West coast of North America.  I'll check back in my morning smile

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2012-07-29 07:22:48

kaszak696

Check if there are any errors in journalctl and see if there are any failed units (like consolekit) using

systemctl --failed

Also, can you check if intel video drivers are loaded?

Last edited by kaszak696 (2012-07-29 07:23:45)

'What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.' - Christopher Hitchens
'There's no such thing as addiction, there's only things that you enjoy doing more than life.' - Doug Stanhope
GitHub Junkyard

#7 2012-07-29 07:33:08

DSpider

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xfce

exec startxfce4 --with-ck-launch

^ At the end of your ~/.xinitrc.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#8 2012-07-29 07:53:10

I am Gianluca

DSpider wrote:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xfce

exec startxfce4 --with-ck-launch

^ At the end of your ~/.xinitrc.

Good morning,

I've already edited the .xinitrc when upgraded to XFCE 4.10, so unfortunately it isn't the cause of the problem.

$ systemctl -- failed
UNIT LOAD ACTIVE SUB JONB DESCRIPTION
proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.automount loaded failed failed Arbitrary Executable File Formats File System Automount Point

LOAD = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
SUB = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.
JOB = Pending job for the unit.

1 units listed. Pass --all to see inactive units, too.

If I check with 'systemctl -a' I can see that also the units 'auditd.service' 'display-manager.service' 'plymouth-quit-wait.service' 'plymounth-start.service' 'rc-local.service' 'syslog.service' have errors when loaded. All of them are LOAD=error, ACTIVE=inactive and SUB=dead.

#9 2012-07-29 08:12:24

kaszak696

Does journalctl contain any significant errors about these units?

'What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.' - Christopher Hitchens
'There's no such thing as addiction, there's only things that you enjoy doing more than life.' - Doug Stanhope
GitHub Junkyard

#10 2012-07-30 18:10:21

I am Gianluca

kaszak696 wrote:

Does journalctl contain any significant errors about these units?

Sorry if I didn't reply in the last two days but my job kept me away from the laptop.
Well, journalctl doesn't contain any error at all.

How can I check it the xf86-intel drivers are loaded?

Thank you very much guys,

Gianluca

#11 2012-07-30 18:16:44

kaszak696

I am Gianluca wrote:

How can I check it the xf86-intel drivers are loaded?

lsmod

GitHub Junkyard

#12 2012-07-30 18:21:34

I am Gianluca

kaszak696 wrote:

lsmod

The only modules that I've loaded are: ext4, crc16,jbd2 mbcache, sd_mod, uhci_hcd, ahci, libahci, libata, scsi_mod, ehci_hcd, usbcore, usb_common.

#13 2012-07-30 18:27:15

kaszak696

Doesn't seem that i915 driver is there. Try "modprobe i915".
On the Arch wiki there is an interesting note that you might try:

When using KMS, you must remove any deprecated references to vga or nomodeset from your boot configuration.

So, since KMS is mandatory now, remove the vga=773 from your kernel line, reboot, and see if the problem still persists.

Last edited by kaszak696 (2012-07-30 18:33:51)

GitHub Junkyard

#14 2012-07-30 19:02:14

I am Gianluca

kaszak696 wrote:

Doesn't seem that i915 driver is there. Try "modprobe i915".
On the Arch wiki there is an interesting note that you might try:

When using KMS, you must remove any deprecated references to vga or nomodeset from your boot configuration.

So, since KMS is mandatory now, remove the vga=773 from your kernel line, reboot, and see if the problem still persists.

$ modprobe i915
$ lsmod
Module
ext4 
crc16 
jbd2 
mbcache 
sd_mod 
uhci_hcd
ahci 
libahci 
libata 
scsi_mod 
ehci_hcd 
usbcore 
usb_common

Even after having removed the 'vga=773' option from the kernel line the problem persists.
It's worst because the booting and login process are on a different resolution than the correct one.

#15 2012-07-30 19:04:58

kaszak696

What does dmesg say after modprobing the module?

GitHub Junkyard

#16 2012-07-30 19:13:54

I am Gianluca

kaszak696 wrote:

What does dmesg say after modprobing the module?

Nothing. The last lines regard the process of filesystem's mounting during the boot.

#17 2012-07-30 19:17:21

kaszak696

Can you post a full dmesg and Xorg.0.log?

GitHub Junkyard

#18 2012-07-30 19:19:53

I am Gianluca

kaszak696 wrote:

Can you post a full dmesg and Xorg.0.log?

Tomorrow in the early afternoon I'm going to do it.
Right now I don't have an USB stick and second computer available.

#19 2012-08-01 11:26:34

I am Gianluca

Apologise for the stupid question, but how can I mount manually my USB storage?

I've had a look into the ArchWiki page, but it doesn't work for me.
I plug my brand new USB storage (Sony 16 GB USB key) and even if it is recognised by the system (running 'lsusb'), it is not auto-mounted as usual.
I can't find the directory in /media or /mnt.
Moreover, if I run the commands:

$ ls -lF /dev/disk/by-uuid/
$ fdisk -l
$ nano /etc/fstab

It seems not being there.
The dmesg command returns

[202.431974] usb 2-1: new high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci_hcd

Mm.. Perhaps, is it related to the switch to systemd?

#20 2012-08-01 13:16:41

DSpider

Reboot if you updated the kernel recently. Especially if you see a difference between:

$ uname -r
3.4.7-1-ARCH
$ pacman -Q linux
linux 3.4.7-1

Then USB devices will start working again.

You don't need a second computer to post a log... -__- But at the very least you do need a LiveCD laying around, or dual boot with something, just in case shit ever hits the fan. Alternatively, you can install and use CLI programs like elinks and weechat-curses to browse the wiki or ask for help if X is down.

# pacman -S elinks weechat-curses

To post a log from the command-line:

$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | curl -F "sprunge=<-" http://sprunge.us

I have an alias in /etc/bash.bashrc:

alias web='curl -F "sprunge=<-" http://sprunge.us'

So I just type

$ cat /path/to/file | web

Be resourceful, guy!

Last edited by DSpider (2012-08-01 13:17:44)

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#21 2012-08-01 16:32:18

I am Gianluca

Ok, I didn't think on a CLI browser mainly because I cannot access the internet at this point. Secondly because.. I've never used it smile
Anyway, great idea! I'll it give a try, seems to be a rapid way to post on the forum in case of necessity.

As said, I have a big problem to solve before doing it.
After having login into my session I can't access the internet.
Wicd.service is running standing on what 'systemctl status' says, but if I run 'wicd-curses' it doesn't find any wired or wireless connection. I've connected the laptop via Ethernet to the router and the wifi is running too because I can use it on my smartphone.
What could be the problem?

As you can see my Linux knowledge isn't huge. I'm really disappointed sometimes on my little understanding on how some basic things work on GNU/Linux systems. I have to do something for improve it.

#22 2012-08-01 23:06:49

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

So a "modprobe i915" as root finished with no error message and still it did not load the module? What about "modprobe -v" and "modprobe -f"? If this module still doesn't want to load, I hope backing up and reinstalling goes well.

6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

#23 2012-08-02 10:03:59

I am Gianluca

ConnorBehan wrote:

So a "modprobe i915" as root finished with no error message and still it did not load the module? What about "modprobe -v" and "modprobe -f"? If this module still doesn't want to load, I hope backing up and reinstalling goes well.

Hi Connor,

Exactly. "modprobe i915" "modprobe -v i915" "modprobe -f i915" don't start the module. Or at least "lsmod" doesn't show it running.
How can I back up? I have a 16GB usb storage free.

#24 2012-08-02 10:24:59

DSpider

You done goofed now. If you only have (only had?) Arch on your main (and only?) computer in the house, without dual booting anything (that is, including Windows), and you don't even have a LiveCD (or LiveUSB) laying around, then what the fuck, dude... You're stuck with a borked machine. Install Windows, make enough LiveCDs, LiveUSBs to last a lifetime, and, if you're still feeling up to it, try this "Lunix" business again. I suggest Ubuntu, Linux Mint, PCLinuxOS, etc. Or, you know, stick with Windows.

#25 2012-08-02 11:47:11

I am Gianluca

I have an ArchLinux LiveUSB.
You get the point. I was stupid enough to choose to install only ArchLinux after my 1 year experience with Ubuntu and Fedora (I'm not sarcastic). I didn't realise that if something goes wrong I would be fucked. You know, thanks to the forums I have always turned the things in the best way.

If there is a way via LiveUSB to save my /home I'll thank you for the rest of my life. Otherwise, it's my fault. I have to learn something from it smile

Board footer