You are not logged in.

#26 2012-08-02 12:38:47

DSpider

Re: Xorg error: no screens found

I have an ArchLinux LiveUSB.

Yeah? What method did you use? Directly writing it with dd ? Because the ISO is a hybrid (link), now you have a 16 GB USB stick with only 370 MB available for writing. Which of course is full (and in use, because it's not running from RAM or anything like that).

You could use fdisk to create a new partition after this 370-something MB space, and slap an EXT4 or FAT32 fs on it. Then you can mount and transfer the system to it.

Or, use another USB stick.

Last edited by DSpider (2012-08-02 12:39:31)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#27 2012-08-02 13:45:21

I am Gianluca

I created an ArchLinux LiveUSB (2011 image) with LinuxLiveUSB in an USB 8GB storage last week. Besides, I have another 16GB USB storage completely free, except for 3 files of few kb each.

Last edited by I am Gianluca (2012-08-02 13:46:18)

Laptop: Acer Aspire S3 | Linux Mint Cinnamon 64-bit

#28 2012-08-02 15:26:37

masteryod

I am Gianluca wrote:

I have an ArchLinux LiveUSB.
You get the point. I was stupid enough to choose to install only ArchLinux after my 1 year experience with Ubuntu and Fedora (I'm not sarcastic). I didn't realise that if something goes wrong I would be fucked. You know, thanks to the forums I have always turned the things in the best way.

If there is a way via LiveUSB to save my /home I'll thank you for the rest of my life. Otherwise, it's my fault. I have to learn something from it smile

There is nothing wrong wit trying Arch after one year with Ubuntu BUT you would end up in better position if you had tried Arch on Virtualbox first - this is good advice, reset your head and workspace and get familiar with Arch in comfort of virtualization before you install it on bare hardware - which you probably will because Arch is awesome wink

About recovering files (and I assume you're not very good with CLI) - go to a friend, burn Ubuntu livecd (or any other livecd distro with GUI) boot it and backup files from broken /home partition as if in regular OS.

#29 2012-08-02 16:21:11

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Gianluca, you still have plenty of options available for saving your Arch install... you don't need to follow this advice of installing a different OS. Stick both of your USB drives into USB ports - the LiveUSB and the one you are using for backup. When you have booted into the LiveUSB image mount the other USB volume and mount the other hard drive partition containing /home. Do this with:

sudo mkdir /mnt/src
sudo mkdir /mnt/dst
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/src
sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/dst

This assumes that the names of the devices are sda1 and sdb1. They might be something else like sda2, sdb2 or sda1, sdb3, etc. This is pretty easy to determine by trial and error. Just remember that "umount" unmounts a folder or device and "ls" lists the files in it. When you have it right (when "ls /mnt/src" shows you the /home files and when "ls /mnt/dst" shows you those 3 files that are a few kb in size) copy as much as you can from src to dst:

sudo cp /mnt/src/some_file /mnt/dst/
sudo cp -R /mnt/src/some_directory /mnt/dst/

Another thing you could try if you have internet access is saving /home files to an online service like dropbox. Dropbox only gives 2GB but you could backup 2GB at a time and periodically move files from dropbox to your USB drive with another machine.

6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

Board footer