You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-30 18:39:03

robin67

2 question concerning LVM over LUKS

I succesfully configured LVM over LUKS, but have 2 parts that are not 100% clear to me

My setup is now
/dev/vda1       /boot
/dev/vda2       LVM2 with volumegroup name lvm holding three logical volumes: lvm-root, lvm-home, lvm-swap

The following I am wondering if someone would like to clarify to me

1. For booting I added cryptdevice to my kernel with the following parameter settings

kernel /vmlinuz-linux cryptdevice=/dev/vda2:encrypted root=/dev/mapper/lvm-root ro

It doesn't seems to matter what name I use in the red part of cryptdevice.
    So why do I need to put a name in this red part ?? Does it matter at all what name I use here ??

2. I did not fill in anyhting in /etc/crypttab and all seems to be working without issues.
    I could have entered something like "encrypted             /dev/vda2           none           luks" in it....

What good would it do me to enter anything in crypttab ?? When would I really need this to be filled in ??

Hoping someone would mind to explains this to me .... thx

#2 2012-07-30 18:52:29

alphaniner

Re: 2 question concerning LVM over LUKS

I just started playing with encryption so take what I say with a block of salt.

The name you give is what will show up in /dev/mapper, ie /dev/mapper/encrypted in this case.  Since you're using lvm I think you could change the name every boot if you wanted.  OTOH, if you formatted the partition directly, you could use the /dev/mapper/encrypted in fstab for example.

On the subject of crypttab I can't help you, except to say that in my experiments with encryption I've never touched it.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

Board footer