You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-01 20:18:08

vermelho

Dual monitor and hw accel mutually exclusive (using Awesome WM)

Hi I've been using Arch for some months now and I have laptop (Lenovo x220 with integrated intel graphics) with an occasional dual monitor setup. Things were smooth, but I was having issues with video tearing, so I went trough the intel graphics arch wiki page and I was able to turn on hw acceleration and get rid of the video tearing by putting this in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

# /etc/X11/xorc.conf.d/20-intel.conf
    Section "Device"
       Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
       Driver      "intel"
       Option      "AccelMethod"  "sna"
       Option      "TearFree"     "true"
    EndSection

The problem is that I add that file I no longer have proper dual monitor with extended desktop, the second monitor kind of mirrors the main one.
kind of, because I can move the pointer between the two monitors and is not duplicated, but the desktop (widows and awesome menu) is duplicated on the second monitor, but I can only interact with the windows using the mouse from the main monitor.

I usually do `$ xrandr --mode 1920x1080 --output HDMI1 --right-of LVDS1` to output to the second monitor, and it was working allright.

I've been trough arch and gentoo wiki looking for dual monitor/xorg config stuff to no avail yet.

Last edited by vermelho (2012-08-01 20:18:50)

#2 2012-08-01 22:48:36

vermelho

Re: Dual monitor and hw accel mutually exclusive (using Awesome WM)

sad Option "TearFree" makes the video playback smother but messes with AwesomeWM windows (duplication), that option is the culprit.

#3 2012-08-21 21:10:44

vermelho

Re: Dual monitor and hw accel mutually exclusive (using Awesome WM)

I found a fix in this thread: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-71 … c9ec76f8b8

Adding `i915.semaphores=1` to my boot params allows me to use the TearFree option in xorg config, without X crashing and with a dual monitor setup.

Board footer