You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-02 19:26:10

joebrooks

[SOLVED] Bootloaders and partitioning (Syslinux and GPT)

I don't understand why this is so difficult.

All I want to do is install Arch over two partitions (boot and root, both ext2) on a GPT disk, doesn't matter which bootloader.  But I can't find any obvious way to do this.  My understanding of partitioning and MBR's and bootloaders is probably a bit lacking.

When I use gdisk to create the partitions, and then try to install syslinux, I always get an error about not being able to set the legacy BIOS bootable attribute, even if I set it beforehand with gdisk.  Tried various things and I have yet to create a bootable disk.  No luck with GRUB2 yet either.

Is there a more idiot-proof way to get this up and running?  I've looked through the Beginner's Guide, Installation Guide, the wiki pages on these bootloaders, etc.  Re-partitioning and re-pacstrapping after each and every attempt at configuring a bootloader is making this take all day.

Last edited by joebrooks (2012-08-04 02:48:03)

#2 2012-08-02 19:41:45

alphaniner

Re: [SOLVED] Bootloaders and partitioning (Syslinux and GPT)

If you're getting the error with syslinux-install_update, it may be nothing to worry about.  Or it may be that syslinux-install_update can't be used with GPT and you need to use the manual method instead.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#3 2012-08-02 20:07:48

DSpider

Create your partitions beforehand with something like the Parted Magic, GParted Live, an Ubuntu LiveCD, etc. Having a GUI makes it easier for noobs.

Use ext4 for the root partition.

Also, Syslinux is easier to use, IMO. There's just one config file instead of the many config files in GRUB.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#4 2012-08-03 02:40:54

silentsnake

It's not your fault, I also created my partition table with gfdisk and syslinux-install_update won't work. I'm sure this happens regardless of the partition tool.

Just do it manually – this worked for me.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … al_Install
Follow the steps for GPT while you are in your chroot environment (after running arch-chroot). If sgdisk is missing install the gptfdisk package via pacman. (You obviously also need the syslinux package)

My partition scheme is simple (but shouldn't matter anyway)
sda1 for /boot as ext4
sda2 for swap
sda3 for / as ext4

Last edited by silentsnake (2012-08-03 02:48:00)

#5 2012-08-04 02:41:44

joebrooks

silentsnake wrote:

Just do it manually – this worked for me.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … al_Install
Follow the steps for GPT while you are in your chroot environment (after running arch-chroot). If sgdisk is missing install the gptfdisk package via pacman.

That did it, thank you. 

Three polite responses in a day... Pretty good first impression of the Arch community. smile

I'm using ext2 btw because I read somewhere I shouldn't use a journaling file system on the SSD in my Eee PC 2G Surf.  Hoping that won't create any headaches for me later.

#6 2012-08-04 02:45:42

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

joebrooks wrote:

Three polite responses in a day... Pretty good first impression of the Arch community. smile

You got lucky smile

Please remember to mark your thread as [Solved] by editing your original post.

Welcome to the boards.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer