You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-03 02:21:15

NYFinest

[SOLVED] Booting Issues..

Hello everyone,

Today I decided to do a fresh arch install on my desktop. The issue I am having is that when I have the installation disk in the drive and select existing OS arch boots up with no problem but when the disk is not there I get a message that there was no bootable device found.

Using gdisk I crated a new partition table
/dev/sda1 2M ef02
/dev/sda2 300M (boot)
/dev/sda3 25G (root)
/dev/sda4 15G (var)
/dev/sda5 420G (home)

they all were formatted with btrfs, and everything installed with no problems, grub had no errors when I was installing, and I am also using systemd. I also checked the bios settings and they seem fine. How can I approach this?

Thank you.

Last edited by NYFinest (2012-08-03 11:35:29)

Lenovo X201T
Arch x86_64

#2 2012-08-03 07:05:16

DSpider

Re: [SOLVED] Booting Issues..

The issue I am having is that when I have the installation disk in the drive and select existing OS arch boots up with no problem but when the disk is not there I get a message that there was no bootable device found.

Don't take out the disc when you're doing the install...

-__-

And I think you mean disc, not "disk". Meaning the CD/DVD. Yeah... Leave it in the drive for the duration of the install. Because it's not running from RAM or anything like that. This is so that users with lower RAM (64 MB, 128-256 MB) can install Arch too.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2012-08-03 10:36:28

derhamster

DSpider wrote:

The issue I am having is that when I have the installation disk in the drive and select existing OS arch boots up with no problem but when the disk is not there I get a message that there was no bootable device found.

Don't take out the disc when you're doing the install...

-__-

And I think you mean disc, not "disk". Meaning the CD/DVD. Yeah... Leave it in the drive for the duration of the install. Because it's not running from RAM or anything like that. This is so that users with lower RAM (64 MB, 128-256 MB) can install Arch too.

Thats not the problem. He said everything installed fine.

The no bootable device error sound like a bios error message. Check if your harddrive is enabled to boot from in the bios settings (it is a bios right?)
If thats the case, then maybe grub is not installed to the MBR? Did you use grub-install? The last parameter must be the actual device (/dev/sda in your case) not a partition like /dev/sda1

Edit and a bit offtopic:
Is there any particular reason why you use many different btrfs partitions instead of just one with subvolumes? I'm not saying you did it the wrong way! I'm just curious

Last edited by derhamster (2012-08-03 10:41:33)

#4 2012-08-03 11:34:59

NYFinest

So I did a little more reading on GPT and noticed that it uses UEFI.
In BIOS UEFI Boot was disabled and once that was set everything booted up perfectly

derhamster wrote:

Edit and a bit offtopic:
Is there any particular reason why you use many different btrfs partitions instead of just one with subvolumes? I'm not saying you did it the wrong way! I'm just curious

I did not know that I could do that, This is the first time I look into btrfs and I wanted to try the new arch installation media, since I haven't really tinkered with my setup for over a year. I will look into it and hopefully try to get the most out of btrfs

Thanks.

Lenovo X201T
Arch x86_64

#5 2012-08-03 14:14:00

derhamster

NYFinest wrote:
derhamster wrote:

Edit and a bit offtopic:

I did not know that I could do that, This is the first time I look into btrfs and I wanted to try the new arch installation media, since I haven't really tinkered with my setup for over a year. I will look into it and hopefully try to get the most out of btrfs

I suggest you read through some pages on the btrfs wiki and the btrfs article on our wiki. I'm using just one partition with different subvolumes for /{,boot,home} and I really like it. But I am still new to btrfs myself, and don't know the best practices

Board footer