You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-19 14:26:50

ragnarok
Website

CPU temp

How can i monitor the temperature of my cpu? I need only an app or even kenrel modules? Anyway: what apps and what modules?

"There's only two thing infinite: the universe and the human stupidity... and i'm not sure about universe"

Albert Einstein

gtkPacman - PyGTK package manager based on pacman
https://gtkpacman.berlios.de

#2 2005-08-19 15:30:11

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: CPU temp

cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/*

#3 2005-08-19 15:33:18

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

gkrellm and conky/torsmo can monitor various temp types and settings

#4 2005-08-19 16:54:28

ragnarok
Website

phrakture wrote:

my /proc/acpi/thermal_zone is empty... i guess i miss some kernel module, but which one?

"There's only two thing infinite: the universe and the human stupidity... and i'm not sure about universe"

Albert Einstein

#5 2005-08-19 17:24:33

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ragnarok wrote:
phrakture wrote:

my /proc/acpi/thermal_zone is empty... i guess i miss some kernel module, but which one?

Hmmm it should be built in... try adding "acpi=on apm=off" to your kernel params

Also pacman "acpid" and start that on boot (rc.conf)

The "acpi" package is better to use though, for temp output...

$ acpi -tBf
     Thermal 1: passive , 114.8 degrees F
$ acpi -tB
     Thermal 1: passive , 45.0 degrees C

#6 2005-08-19 18:10:22

ragnarok
Website

i googled a bit and found lm_sensors. I've installed it and compiled the i2c modules, now i have all the sensors i wanted, from CPU temp to voltages, thanks a lot for your suggestions smile

Albert Einstein

#7 2006-10-09 13:22:12

Seb74

So, whats the best/easiest way of reading my CPU-temp and nothing else?
Thought it would be cool to add it to my servers default web-page, along with the uptime, so I only need CPU-temp and nothing else really (maybe fan-speeds too could be cool).

The CPU is so incredibly cool I dont have to worry, its more for fun smile

My /proc/acpi/thermal_zone is also empty sad
And trying to run acpi gives me "no such command" or whatever it said.

So, whats the easies way for me to grab the temp (and maybe rpm) on my Athlon64 3000+???  With the least risk of damaging my system or ruining the kernel by messing around....

#8 2006-10-09 13:27:05

toxic

Like phracture said, pacman -S acpid, include at boot.

#9 2006-10-09 13:41:10

Seb74

toxic wrote:

Like phracture said, pacman -S acpid, include at boot.

Ok, but what does that do?
Is it harmful or bad in any way?
Include at boot, you mean by adding it to the DAEMONS-vector in rc.conf?

Thanks smile

#10 2006-10-09 16:15:12

ralvez
Website

Yes, that is what he means.
Also a simple way to monitor the temperatue is using conky or gkrellm. Both can be obtained with pacman.

#11 2006-10-09 16:48:03

Seb74

ralvez wrote:

Yes, that is what he means.
Also a simple way to monitor the temperatue is using conky or gkrellm. Both can be obtained with pacman.

Ok. Keep in mind I'm running a server with no X and no monitor or keyboard to it, just terminal via ssh....in case any of those apps are graphical ones.

But ACPI, what does it do? Will installing it just give me a simple way to read my CPU-temp and nothing else? Or will it do 100 other things, and as a sideeffect I will also be able to monitor temp?
Sadly dont have any man-page for it (as for so many other things....hosts.deny/allow-filerna for example).

I just dont know if I dare messing this up now installing stuff I know nothing about. Maybe just go on to getting apache+php up and my server will be complete (except some other things I probably dont dare getting started on cause so many seem to have problems....like Cool 'n Quiet and this temp-monitoring)...

#12 2006-10-09 17:05:56

ralvez
Website

Keep in mind I'm running a server with no X and no monitor or keyboard to it ...

Sorry then ... neither of those apps will do.

But ACPI, what does it do?

(Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) is a power management specification that allows the operating system to control the amount of power distributed to the computer's devices. Devices not in use can be turned off, reducing unnecessary power expenditure. ACPI defines a new interface to the system board, and enables the OnNow design initiative for instantly available PCs.
www.usbman.com/glossarycomputerterms.htm

Perhaps a very simple solution is, if your mobo supports S.M.A.R.T is to get "smartmontools" (pacman -Sy smartmontools) and go from there.

#13 2006-10-09 17:20:18

Seb74

I just read some wiki-page for enabling Coon 'n Quiet but the first thing they did was starting recompiling the kernel, with no help for a newbie, so I was totally lost. Dont think THATS the right way for me to go with this wink
Dont know why it has to be like this in Linux sad
For some things just work directly, but for others you have to mess around like crazy, and worst case it doesn't work afterwards anyway, maybe the system just got messed up instead.

ACPI....hmm....I could install it (compile it into the kernel or whatever you do) and maybe get a temp-reading, but maybe it also shuts stuff down....maybe my harddrive idles for 30 minutes and then turns off and has to start again when someone accesses my web-server making it react slowly, or some other stuff.

Nah, I just dont know. I love it in windows where you just install some app and out comes temperatures and everything. Dont think anyone on a windows system would even dream of rebuilding the OS just to read out a silly temperature. Its just awkward....I dont get why stuff like this dont work "out of the box" sad

Thanks for the help anyway, but its not important enough for me to risk ruining the system and reinstall once more.

#14 2006-10-09 17:40:45

ralvez
Website

Hum ... I'm not sure what you mean.
To install acpi in Arch you type pacman -Sy acpi and to install smartools is the same, in fact  you can type pacman -Sy acpi smartools and install both at once.

I have not used windows for 8 years now but I have to say that Windows as an OS is even worst that Linux. It is true that you click and install and it works (most of the time) but when it does not ... try to figure out what went wrong and where ...  wink
No way Jose, I'll stick to Linux; at least if something does not work my way I can fix it.

Anyhow ... may be when you fell more comfortable with Linux/Arch you will want to give it another go and will be around to help.

Rick

#15 2006-10-09 17:42:35

lucke

You don't need a kernel recompile to enable Cool'n'Quiet - if you actually have supported CPU (64bit AMDs and some Semprons, I believe), you just load the powernow-k8 module (CnQ has to be enabled in BIOS for it to work) and one of cpufreq modules, preferably cpufreq_ondemand. You can also install cpufrequtils to control it more nicely.

As for CPU temp. sensing, you just install lm_sensors and run "sensors-detect". It should find correct modules for you to modprobe (it87 on Asus A8N-E, in my case). Then execute "sensors" and voila. If something doesn't work as intended, fiddle with sensors.conf. And that's it.

No kernel recompile needed whatsoever. At least on Arch.

#16 2006-10-09 19:20:31

Seb74

lucke wrote:

You don't need a kernel recompile to enable Cool'n'Quiet - if you actually have supported CPU (64bit AMDs and some Semprons, I believe), you just load the powernow-k8 module (CnQ has to be enabled in BIOS for it to work) and one of cpufreq modules, preferably cpufreq_ondemand. You can also install cpufrequtils to control it more nicely.

As for CPU temp. sensing, you just install lm_sensors and run "sensors-detect". It should find correct modules for you to modprobe (it87 on Asus A8N-E, in my case). Then execute "sensors" and voila. If something doesn't work as intended, fiddle with sensors.conf. And that's it.

No kernel recompile needed whatsoever. At least on Arch.

Oh well, I dont know. I've been searching around a bit in here and there seems to be like 10 different ways to get CPU-temp and to get Cool 'n quiet working, and 9 of the 10 ways seem to include kernel-stuff...rebuilding it or loading strange modules I dont know what it is, and lots of people have problems with both these things, so I'm afraid I will try and follow one of all these alternatives and it will not work and I'll be stuck with in worst case a ruined system and a new reinstall sad

Anyway, installing lm_sensors sounds easy, but how to know what module to load afterwards? And lots of people seem to have strange problems with it. Also it feels a bit overkill, I just want a CPU-temp (maybe RPM) reading, not 30 lines of output....it'll just be hard to regexp the right line into the php-script.

#17 2006-10-09 19:52:19

lucke

Mate, you're just whining.

It isn't Windows, where every stepping off the established path could result in a broken system. On this box I installed Arch over two years ago and during that time I've used countless kernels, accidentally removed pacman's db few times, copied the system to different hard drive, changed whole hardware and whatelse - everything works as new. Without reinstalling.

I just gave you the instructions how to do this. And it basically consists of loading some modules, nothing to break here. I know it works, because I use it myself. But if you think that other, non-arch howtos know better, I can't help you with that.

As said earlier, sensors-detect will detect the modules. Or just google what sensors are on your motherboard, thus what modules you should use.

Lastly, sensors command doesn't show 30 lines of output. By default it shows voltage on different lines, CPU/MB/whatelse temps and fans' RPM. If you don't want something, you just hash it out in sensors.conf. Simple as that. 

I'm afraid you can't get rid of Windows background - if you're even afraid of loading kernel modules. It's not as if they contain any malicious code.

If you want to enjoy a nice system, listen to advice and don't be afraid to fiddle a bit. If not, you'd be better off with Windows (not a viable solution for a server, eh?).

#18 2006-10-09 20:19:32

Seb74

Ok, cool smile

Its just that I've looked around a bit in this forum and I've seen so many solutions (and many not working ones for lots of people) about both temp-sensors and Cool 'n Quiet.
So when you write "do this simple command and then this simple command and everything is ok" I just wonder if that is very likely or not.

Regarding loading modules I dont even know what it means really....is it modprobe or, is that loading a module into the kernel?

I wish there were some official Arch-guides for it. I mean, you could be wrong, you could miss some simple step I cant figure out myself on the way, or it migiht just be I have to take some other path installing it that you didn't have to. Oh well, I'll see what I'll do. If I should mess the system up its now when its just barely up and working, no in a week when everythings perfect and all files copied to it....

#19 2006-10-09 20:37:34

lucke

Seb74 wrote:

Regarding loading modules I dont even know what it means really....is it modprobe or, is that loading a module into the kernel?

Modprobing (using modprobe command) is essentially loading (adding) a module into kernel.

Seb74 wrote:

I wish there were some official Arch-guides for it.

There are some articles regarding C'n'Q (PowerNow!) and lm_sensors in Arch's wiki, although they seem to be a bit incomplete/inaccurate/outdated.

Just follow my steps and you'll be okay. If you need help, just ask.

#20 2006-10-09 21:07:23

Seb74

Ok, so for Cool 'n Quiet I run "modprobe powernow-k8" and then "modprobe cpufreq_ondemand" and thats it???

Thanks for your help, I'm just a scared newbie...since I'm actually using my server and not just playing with it I want things to go smooth so I finally can start using it again. Hard with a LAN at home and no fileserver....and no webserver....

EDIT: Starting with lm_sensors.
Installed package, running sensors-detect. Pasting stuff here for my own reference, and for you to look at....just so I have saved what happens.
Did choose not to scan ISA (ISA is so old, must be stoneage pc's that refer to, and could be dangerous it said). Also said no on the last question for some strange scanning that could also be harmful.

# sensors-detect
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
        LANGUAGE = (unset),
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LC_COLLATE = "C",
        LANG = "en_US.utf8"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
# sensors-detect revision 1.413 (2006/01/19 20:28:00)

This program will help you determine which I2C/SMBus modules you need to
load to use lm_sensors most effectively. You need to have i2c and
lm_sensors installed before running this program.
Also, you need to be `root', or at least have access to the /dev/i2c-*
files, for most things.
If you have patched your kernel and have some drivers built in, you can
safely answer NO if asked to load some modules. In this case, things may
seem a bit confusing, but they will still work.

It is generally safe and recommended to accept the default answers to all
questions, unless you know what you're doing.

We can start with probing for (PCI) I2C or SMBus adapters.
You do not need any special privileges for this.
Do you want to probe now? (YES/no): YES
Probing for PCI bus adapters...
Sorry, no PCI bus adapters found.

We will now try to load each adapter module in turn.
If you have undetectable or unsupported adapters, you can have them
scanned by manually loading the modules before running this script.

To continue, we need module `i2c-dev' to be loaded.
If it is built-in into your kernel, you can safely skip this.
i2c-dev is not loaded. Do you want to load it now? (YES/no): YES
Module loaded succesfully.

We are now going to do the adapter probings. Some adapters may hang halfway
through; we can't really help that. Also, some chips will be double detected;
we choose the one with the highest confidence value in that case.
If you found that the adapter hung after probing a certain address, you can
specify that address to remain unprobed. That often
includes address 0x69 (clock chip).

Some chips are also accessible through the ISA bus. ISA probes are
typically a bit more dangerous, as we have to write to I/O ports to do
this. This is usually safe though.

Do you want to scan the ISA bus? (YES/no): no

Some Super I/O chips may also contain sensors. Super I/O probes are

Do you want to scan for Super I/O sensors? (YES/no): no

Sorry, no chips were detected.
Either your sensors are not supported, or they are
connected to an I2C bus adapter that we do not support.
See doc/FAQ, doc/lm_sensors-FAQ.html, or
http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/cvs/lm_ … s-FAQ.html
(FAQ #4.24.3) for further information.
If you find out what chips are on your board, see
http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/newdrivers.html for driver status.

#21 2006-10-09 21:26:33

Seb74

Also running:
# modprobe powernow-k8
# modprobe cpufreq_ondemand

Nothing happens at all. Will try reboot and check.

#22 2006-10-09 21:26:46

lucke

Seb74 wrote:

Ok, so for Cool 'n Quiet I run "modprobe powernow-k8" and then "modprobe cpufreq_ondemand" and thats it???

Yeah, that's it (of course do it as root). Remember to have C'n'Q enabled in BIOS, though, else modprobing powernow-k8 won't work. Later you install cpufrequtils (pacman -S cpufrequtils) and then run "cpufreq-info" to confirm that it's working as intended. If cpufreq-info shows that the governor is set to performance, you'll have to use "cpufreq-set -g ondemand" to set it to ondemand governor, which sets the frequency accordingly to load (when CPU is idle, cpufreq-info should show 1Ghz or so - depending on the steps your CPU provides; when it's busy, it should be higher/maximal). Also remember to add those two modules to /etc/rc.conf later, so they'd load at boot, and if actually needed, put "cpufreq-set -g ondemand" in /etc/rc.local.

We've all been newbies ;-) But don't worry, I see no possiblity in breaking things.

#23 2006-10-09 21:32:02

lucke

Seb74 wrote:

Installed package, running sensors-detect. Pasting stuff here for my own reference, and for you to look at....just so I have saved what happens.
Did choose not to scan ISA (ISA is so old, must be stoneage pc's that refer to, and could be dangerous it said). Also said no on the last question for some strange scanning that could also be harmful.

Actually, the sensor I'm using is found on ISA bus. I doubt scanning it could do any harm, but if you're really paranoid, just post your motherboard model and I'll try to pinpoint the module.

#24 2006-10-09 21:36:12

Seb74

lucke wrote:
Seb74 wrote:

Yeah, that's it (of course do it as root). Remember to have C'n'Q enabled in BIOS, though, else modprobing powernow-k8 won't work. Later you install cpufrequtils (pacman -S cpufrequtils) and then run "cpufreq-info" to confirm that it's working as intended. If cpufreq-info shows that the governor is set to performance, you'll have to use "cpufreq-set -g ondemand" to set it to ondemand governor, which sets the frequency accordingly to load (when CPU is idle, cpufreq-info should show 1Ghz or so - depending on the steps your CPU provides; when it's busy, it should be higher/maximal). Also remember to add those two modules to /etc/rc.conf later, so they'd load at boot, and if actually needed, put "cpufreq-set -g ondemand" in /etc/rc.local.

We've all been newbies ;-) But don't worry, I see no possiblity in breaking things.

I dont need to check frequencies if thats all that app does, I check my watt-meter. If it goes down from 60W to 50W or so, I know Cool 'n Quiet has kicked in wink

But ok, running modprobe powernow-k8 and modprobe cpufreq_ondemand is NOT enough? I do need to add that app too from packages and run that cpufreq-set -g thing to get it to work???

And you meant that modprobe is just temporarily, until next reboot? It needs to be added somewhere to stay loaded in kernel?
Like the daemons you add in rc.conf?

#25 2006-10-09 21:39:58

Seb74

lucke wrote:
Seb74 wrote:

Actually, the sensor I'm using is found on ISA bus. I doubt scanning it could do any harm, but if you're really parainoid, just post your motherboard model and I'll try to pinpoint the module.

Do you want to scan the ISA bus? (YES/no): YES
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM78'
  Trying address 0x0290... Failed!
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM78-J'
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM79'
Probing for `Winbond W83781D'
Probing for `Winbond W83782D'
Probing for `Winbond W83627HF'
Probing for `Winbond W83627EHF'
Probing for `Silicon Integrated Systems SIS5595'
  Trying general detect... Failed!
Probing for `VIA Technologies VT82C686 Integrated Sensors'
Probing for `VIA Technologies VT8231 Integrated Sensors'
Probing for `ITE IT8712F'
Probing for `ITE IT8705F / SiS 950'
Probing for `IPMI BMC KCS'
  Trying address 0x0ca0... Failed!
Probing for `IPMI BMC SMIC'
  Trying address 0x0ca8... Failed!

Some Super I/O chips may also contain sensors. Super I/O probes are

Do you want to scan for Super I/O sensors? (YES/no): YES
Probing for `ITE 8702F Super IO Sensors'
  Failed! (skipping family)
Probing for `Nat. Semi. PC87351 Super IO Fan Sensors'
Probing for `SMSC 47B27x Super IO Fan Sensors'
Probing for `VT1211 Super IO Sensors'
  Failed! (0x88)
Probing for `Winbond W83627HF Super IO Sensors'
  Failed! (0x88)
Probing for `Winbond W83627THF Super IO Sensors'
  Failed! (0x88)
Probing for `Winbond W83637HF Super IO Sensors'
  Failed! (0x88)
Probing for `Winbond W83687THF Super IO Sensors'
  Failed! (0x88)
Probing for `Winbond W83697HF Super IO Sensors'
  Failed! (0x88)
Probing for `Winbond W83697SF/UF Super IO PWM'
  Failed! (0x88)
Probing for `Winbond W83L517D Super IO'
  Failed! (0x88)
Probing for `Fintek F71805F/FG Super IO Sensors'
  Failed! (0x8863)
Probing for `Winbond W83627EHF/EHG Super IO Sensors'
  Success... found at address 0x0290      <----------SUCESS!!! smile

Driver `w83627ehf' (should be inserted):
  Detects correctly:
  * ISA bus address 0x0290 (Busdriver `i2c-isa')
    Chip `Winbond W83627EHF/EHG Super IO Sensors' (confidence: 9)

I will now generate the commands needed to load the I2C modules.

To make the sensors modules behave correctly, add these lines to
/etc/modules.conf:

#----cut here----
# I2C module options
alias char-major-89 i2c-dev
#----cut here----

To load everything that is needed, add this to some /etc/rc* file:

#----cut here----
# I2C adapter drivers
modprobe i2c-isa
# I2C chip drivers
modprobe w83627ehf
# sleep 2 # optional
/usr/local/bin/sensors -s # recommended
#----cut here----

WARNING! If you have some things built into your kernel, the list above
will contain too many modules. Skip the appropriate ones! You really should
try these commands right now to make sure everything is working properly.
Monitoring programs won't work until it's done.

Do you want to generate /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors? (yes/NO): yes
Copy prog/init/lm_sensors.init to /etc/rc.d/init.d/lm_sensors
for initialization at boot time.

Sadly I dont have any /etc/modules.conf for starters....

Board footer