You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-06 16:31:00

replabrobin

grub failed with UUID, works with label

I have just tried out the ArchLinux-2012.08.04 installation media. All went well, but the standard grub instructions here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … ode_region did not work; grub could not find the UUID. I was able to boot by putting a label onto the drive and then editing the grub.cfg by hand. Was my initial failure caused by the lack of a grub-mkconfig? The beginners guide seems to suggest I should use that as well as the grub-install.

#2 2012-08-06 16:40:53

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

Re: grub failed with UUID, works with label

replabrobin wrote:

Was my initial failure caused by the lack of a grub-mkconfig? The beginners guide seems to suggest I should use that as well as the grub-install.

The BG doesn't suggest that you run grub-mkconfig, it explicitly says you should:

Tip: Do not forget to configure the bootloader before you reboot. This is a common beginner's mistake.

#3 2012-08-06 19:37:41

replabrobin

I guess it's just poor documentation at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … Guide#GRUB that led me astray then. I think the installation guide should explicitly mention every step that needs to be done, but perhaps that's impossible.

#4 2012-08-06 19:41:24

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

replabrobin wrote:

I think the installation guide should explicitly mention every step that needs to be done, but perhaps that's impossible.

The guide you linked to is the Official Installation Guide; it is targeted at experienced users. The Beginners Guide is where you will find detailed instructions. The front page of the wiki mentions this, but perhaps it should be made more clear.

The Installation Guide does have this in it:

Configure the bootloader: refer back to the appropriate article from the bootloader installation section.

This is where you run grub-mkconfig.

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2012-08-06 19:43:06)

Board footer