You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-07 00:03:30

dsulli99

Garbled Serial Output?

Hi,

I have a seemingly simple question; I have a live working Arch install which I configured for serial support using the instructions here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wo … al_console

Everything works fine; I see the console redirection, and can use the remote system without a problem using minicom.  My question is that whenever I boot (from seemingly any) Arch install CD; the output either doesn't appear on the screen, or is gabled.  I have tried multiple terminal emulators including screen and minicom.

So, since it works in my live install, I know that I have the right cable and my serial cable is configured properly.  Could anybody speculate why I can't get this to work with the install CD?  It is my understanding that the installer has natively supported serial for some time.  I have tried multiple versions of the Arch CD, and none seem to work.

Thank-you so much for reading my post and hopefully answering my question.

Dan Sullivan

#2 2012-08-07 00:50:08

dsulli99

Re: Garbled Serial Output?

I actually figured this out, at least on the new CD.  I had to uncomment the following line in /etc/inittab in a newer arch cd:

s0:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -8 -s 9600 ttyS0 linux

or simply add this one in an older one:

s0:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -8 9600 ttyS0 linux

Then change the runlevel from 3 to 2 and back to 3 again (using init 2 then init 3)

Board footer