You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-07 09:19:34

qmarchi

Arch Core Image

I have a computer that has Internet, BUT inorder to get the drivers in I need to have already installed the OS. My question is, "Where are the Archlinux DVD(or CD) ISOs locaed if they exist?"

#2 2012-08-07 09:36:42

ebal
Website

Re: Arch Core Image

There isnt any core iso

latest netinstal iso:

https://www.archlinux.org/news/install- … available/

https://balaskas.gr
Linux System Engineer - Registered Linux User #420129

#3 2012-08-07 09:36:44

DSpider

There are none. Core images caused more problems than they were worth. You have all the drivers you need to set up a basic internet connection. If you really, really want a local repository you can do that too. But it's generally a good idea to have the newest packages available, from an up-to-date mirror, since Arch Linux is a bleeding-edge distribution.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#4 2012-08-07 10:48:26

real

Arch Linux 2011.08.19 Core x86-64.iso is available..... check the below link....

http://kat.ph/arch-linux-2011-08-19-cor … 26901.html

#5 2012-08-07 10:49:16

karol
Archivist

DSpider wrote:

If you really, really want a local repository you can do that too. But it's generally a good idea to have the newest packages available, from an up-to-date mirror, since Arch Linux is a bleeding-edge distribution.

Wiki references:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cu … FDVD.2FISO
and
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cu … repository

Edit:

real wrote:

Arch Linux 2011.08.19 Core x86-64.iso is available..... check the below link....

http://kat.ph/arch-linux-2011-08-19-cor … 26901.html

That image is a year old and using it could be quite painful.

Last edited by karol (2012-08-07 10:50:40)

#6 2012-08-07 15:37:55

Silex89

Hi there smile

If you have a machine that has Arch installed previously, you can run this command in order to download the packages manually (the output will show you URLs) to install them in the live environment using the pacman -U flag

# pacman -Sp base 

Regards big_smile

"The way your heart sounds makes all the difference" John Myung

I love Dream Theater! ImL
Best Guitar Solo Ever

#7 2012-08-07 23:11:23

Caliburn

DSpider wrote:

There are none. Core images caused more problems than they were worth. You have all the drivers you need to set up a basic internet connection.

For most users, your statement is probably true; the drivers are available for those with cable and DSL capable internet connections. However, for people in my situation, this isn't the case.

I require the usb_modeswitch w/ wvdial method as a result of having a 3G USB modem. Before, this method was a royal pain to setup and now it is excruciatingly worse. As a result of having no internet connection by default, this new net-only install forces me to have an already downloaded list of packages (of which I'm currently unaware what it needs) for the base group. Those packages now need to be copied over to the pacman cache, which then and only then pacstrap can install base.

In addition, the usb_modeswitch and wvdial method requires a restart so the kernel can recognize the USB modem.

I don't mean to be hard on Arch here, but in my POV this net-only install is very unfortunate and a tremendous load of crap. I've been with this distro for nearly the last six years, and while I approve of the bleeding edge, the Arch schema of *getting it there* from Arch's own base install CD has been increasingly difficult.

I'm up for suggestions as always, but currently I can't wrap my head around how to install this system short of having the packages already available for copy-over. I'm also currently not aware of what packages are in "base" and pacman refuses to tell me without an internet connection.

karol wrote:

That image is a year old and using it could be quite painful.

I was using this fine until updating glibc [recent] broke the system.

Last edited by Caliburn (2012-08-07 23:11:42)

#8 2012-08-07 23:19:57

tomegun
Developer

Caliburn wrote:

For most users, your statement is probably true; the drivers are available for those with cable and DSL capable internet connections. However, for people in my situation, this isn't the case.

I require the usb_modeswitch w/ wvdial method as a result of having a 3G USB modem. Before, this method was a royal pain to setup and now it is excruciatingly worse. As a result of having no internet connection by default, this new net-only install forces me to have an already downloaded list of packages (of which I'm currently unaware what it needs) for the base group. Those packages now need to be copied over to the pacman cache, which then and only then pacstrap can install base.

This sounds like a PITA. We should probably just add more packages to the netinstall so that it is possible to get an internet connection even with a 3G modem. You might want to file a feature request so this is not forgotten.

#9 2012-08-08 08:04:28

real

Caliburn wrote:

However, for people in my situation, this isn't the case.

In addition, the usb_modeswitch and wvdial method requires a restart so the kernel can recognize the USB modem.

The usb_modeswitch and wvdial method  does not requires a restart  after configuring modem & wvdial.
I  use 3g usb modem to coonect internet in both the systems (base- core instaled & netinstalled system).
configuring the modem & wvdial takes approx 5 minutes  for first time connection.
and After full system-updates, Arch connects usb-modem automatically.
My first time connection Steps:-1) install necessary packages offline (2) configure modem-id & wvdial  (3) connect with wvdial (no need to restart).

Last edited by real (2012-08-08 08:15:20)

#10 2012-08-08 08:23:19

Caliburn

real wrote:
Caliburn wrote:

However, for people in my situation, this isn't the case.

The usb_modeswitch and wvdial method  does not requires a restart  after configuring modem & wvdial.
I  use 3g usb modem to coonect internet in both the systems (base- core instaled & netinstalled system).
configuring the modem & wvdial takes approx 5 minutes  for first time connection.
and After full system-updates, Arch connects usb-modem automatically.
My Steps:-1) install necessary packages offline (2) configure modem-id & wvdial  (3) connect with wvdial (no need to restart).

Installing the necessary [core] packages offline for a net-only install (the Arch install no longer provides core as of the recent media release) requires an updated list of base packages which is subject to change each time pacman -Syu is ran. pacman -Syu can't be ran until there's a modem connection present. You can always run pacman -U for each package required by base, but that still requires downloading the updated packages on another system whereby the modem is recognized.

Additionally, the 3G modem I'm using requires the method listed at the link: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130414

#11 2012-08-08 11:08:39

real

Caliburn wrote:

Additionally, the 3G modem I'm using requires the method listed at the link: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130414

To connect usb-modem without reboot (in netinstall, you cant reboot), you are missing/or you are not going with right configuration in step 5,6 & 7 (of your above given link).
your step 5 should be as follows....

insert & save
#nano /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/19d2:1523
DefaultVendor= 0x19d2
DefaultProduct= 0x1523
TargetVendor= 0x19d2
TargetProduct= 0x1525
CheckSuccess=20
MessageContent= "5553424392020000000000000000061B000000020000000000000000000000"

*Step 6 should be as follows..
Edit
#nano /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf
EnableLogging=1

*Step 7
issue the two commands..
#usb_modeswitch -c /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/19d2:1523
#modprobe usbserial vendor=0x19d2 product=0x1525

now connect with wvdial (  without reboot the system).

Last edited by real (2012-08-08 14:33:25)

#12 2012-08-08 16:21:10

Caliburn

Call me interested to give this a try - my thanks real. It'll be awhile before I can get back into Arch currently, but I'll work with this when I do.

Board footer