You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-15 21:53:54

chisleu

various Kernel panic on boot 64bit [ solved ]

I have an asus g73sw-a1 with an intel ultimate n 6300 wifi card installed. Otherwise, stock hardware.

It runs other 64 bit linux/windows OS's without a problem and I *DID* get it to boot repeatedly in 64 bit install mode. However in trying to get the network card to work during the install, I ended up fiddling with device setting "wake on lan" or something. I thought I changed it back but I can't get it to boot either way now.

It will boot in 686 mode, but crashes differently each time on 64 bit boot. I tried to screenshot the panic information but my camera isn't good enough to.

I am willing to do anything you need to including type that crazy panic text in for you which I guess I'll get started on now.

I have arch installed on the desktop I'm using now. I absolutely love it. Old school slackware geek just getting back into programming/linux.

Last edited by chisleu (2012-09-09 20:06:16)

#2 2012-08-15 22:22:43

chisleu

Re: various Kernel panic on boot 64bit [ solved ]

I rebooted 2 dozen times in 2 days trying to figure out this problem.

I turned the computer off for ~ 10 minutes while I registered here and made this thread and when it booted up it installed _64 just fine. I have it booted into base now and I can start to configure it...

So thanks for your magic and sorry for the wasted thread!

#3 2012-09-05 02:28:25

chisleu

EDIT: I've been unable to make this work. I ended up installing slackware. It seems to be a completely intermittent problem. It does not happen every time I boot, no matter what the situation. If I take a picture of the kernel panic on install boot-up and post it, will that help?

#4 2012-09-05 10:35:45

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

the info on that screen should help, also check the logfiles in /var/log carefully.
They may give more info about these errors.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2012-09-06 16:50:26

chisleu

Lone_Wolf wrote:

the info on that screen should help, also check the logfiles in /var/log carefully.
They may give more info about these errors.

I will boot it up when I get home and try to get a picture of the panic screen. It is happening on bootup with the install media, not after install, but on install.

No other linux distro does this, and no windows does this. I want to say it was often seemingly related to the wifi driver.

#6 2012-09-09 19:36:41

chisleu

There is a new installer version up now. I'm downloading the torrent and I'll try that version. Maybe it won't panic! smile

#7 2012-09-09 20:08:36

chisleu

epic... Epic.... EPIC!!!!!

The new install media no longer kernel panics as best I can tell. It booted and installed just fine (dhclient got me wired internet, wifi-menu got me wireless, all perfectly.)

It booted post install just fine as well! I rebooted into windows to spread my joy with the new installer version! It is fantastic for me! Thank you everyone!

Can't wait to get the system setup... I hope I don't have to boot back into windows for a long, long time.

Board footer