You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-16 09:30:21

dontbugme
Banned
Website

Discrepancy between category article count in Toc and Category Page

Hi, sorry if there already exists a thread to that, but I couldn't find any. I get the impression that without beeing logged in, some articles aren't listed in the category view.
Eg: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Table_of_Contents, this page states that there are 47 articles about ASUS Laptops. When I open the Asus category( https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Category:ASUS ), I can only see 43 articles.
A few weeks ago I was surprised that there was actually an article about the Zenbook Prime UX31A, which I found by accident, since it wasn't listed in the category page.
If this is on purprose, my feedback to that: It's really annoying. How should I know that I need to be logged in to "see" everything. It's not like the main wiki page shows you a big red box with something like:
"Be aware, if you aren't logged in, we hide stuff from you in the category pages".
If it's not on purpose, this really should be fixed.

Last edited by dontbugme (2012-08-16 09:31:55)

#2 2012-08-16 11:38:37

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Discrepancy between category article count in Toc and Category Page

I'm not sure I follow.  You claim the descrepancy is between the number of articles when one is logged in or not logged in, but the only example you provide has nothing to do with being logged in, just that a category page and table of contents are not perfectly synced.

I checked that asus page you linked, and I see exactly the same number of linked articles whether or not I am logged in.

Do you have actual examples that differ whether or not one is logged in, or did you just assume this was the cause.

The fact that a article talking about how many articles exist may not perfectly match how many articles there actually are is not so surprising: it is a wiki, it is continually being editted.  The number stated in the text was probably correct at one point, but there is no script updating that number whenever more articles come or old articles go.

edit: Also, on that ASUS page you linked, I see 47 articles, whether I am logged in or not.  I have no idea why you'd only see 43.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-08-16 11:40:03)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2012-08-16 12:15:13

kynikos
Wiki Admin

I'm updating "Table of Contents" once a week with a bot, so it can accumulate discrepancies between two consecutive updates.
Nonetheless, dontbugme is actually right, this is a problem with the wiki's cache: it doesn't refresh (or it does very rarely) for not logged in users, and I too see that as a bug. Trilby hasn't been able to reproduce the bug because when I read this post some minutes ago (before he posted) I had already purged "Category:ASUS"'s cached data by opening the page with the "?action=purge" parameter at the end of the url; logged-in users seem to have their pages refreshed at every access, or they use a more frequently refreshed cache. You may be able to reproduce the problem with other category pages which haven't been purged yet. You can experience a similar problem e.g. with the "Table of Contents" link in the navigation pane on the left side of articles: if you look well, when you're logged in it's always there, but when you're not logged in you can see it only in some pages (those that have been purged/saved after the introduction of the link). Pierre could probably shed some light on this matter.

#4 2012-08-17 08:31:38

dontbugme
Banned
Website

Thanks @kynikos for confirming that it is a wiki "bug". Your purging seems to have worked. Now I see all 47 articles in the ASUS section when not beeing logged in.
> Do you have actual examples that differ whether or not one is logged in, or did you just assume this was the cause.
Before kynikos purged the ASUS category, I gave you a concrete example.

Eg: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Table_of_Contents, this page states that there are 47 articles about ASUS Laptops. When I open the Asus category( https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Category:ASUS ), I can only see 43 articles.

Since I said that it differs to the count when I'm logged in, it is save to assume that I actually tested it(logged in/ logged out) and not only assumed it wink.
I thought my example was concrete enough, idk. but as a I said, when logged out, I didn't see the ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A entry in the ASUS section .. it just wasn't there, although it should have been (since it is there when I checked how the page looked like by logging in).
I searched for another example to rule out a fluke.  The apple laptop section had that too. The TOC stated there are 13 articles in the apple section, but when I clicked on the link, the page stated that there were only 11 articles.

4.8.3. Apple (13)
... copypaste from the page:
Pages in category "Apple"

The following 11 pages are in this category, out of 11 total.

So here the concrete apple example is: When logged off, the apple page is missing 2 entries:  MacBookPro Retina, MacBookRetina.
Update: After browsing around in the TOC, .. this problem seems to be pretty widespread. Every 3rd/4th. category or so has this update problem.

Last edited by dontbugme (2012-08-17 08:36:01)

Board footer