You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-18 00:08:07

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

What is the expected behavior from dkms on a kernel update?

My question is of a newbie nature and similar to the question asked in this thread.  If I am running dkms with a custom kernel and the virtualbox-source package installed, is the expected action of the daemon to automatically rebuild my virtualbox modules upon a kernel update?

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#2 2012-08-18 03:21:05

infiniphunk

Re: What is the expected behavior from dkms on a kernel update?

I'm also curious to know how to really get Virtualbox working right on Archlinux. I'm doing stuff where I want to run multiple virtual machines simultaneously which isn't the problem
What I want to do is configure each virtual machine's network adapter to be attached to a 'bridged adapter'.

Since a recent update to my install, I can no longer launch my virtual boxes and get the pop-up window error messages:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Oracle Developer Days.
The virtual machine 'Oracle Developer Days' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1.
Result Code: 
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: 
Machine
Interface: 
IMachine {5eaa9319-62fc-4b0a-843c-0cb1940f8a91}

and then:

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the
kernel module by executing

'pacman -S virtualbox-modules'

as root. If you don't use our stock kernel, install virtualbox-source and execute /usr/bin/vboxbuild.

<Abort>

I then sudo into root and do:

pacman -S virtualbox-modules

which then tells me to reload the modules manually.

so I do.
Then after building the modules I go into
/lib/modules/extramodules-3.5-ARCH
and gunzip them all. I then load all the modules with modprobe.

After that I restart Virtualbox and I can start my virtual boxes like I want to, with bridged adapters for their network connections and everything.
Now this always breaks again when I update my system. How do you do it to keep it working after upgrades?

#3 2012-08-18 03:23:52

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

No offense dude, but don't hijack my thread about dkms to ask your questions; open your own thread.

Last edited by graysky (2012-08-18 03:28:15)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#4 2012-08-18 03:27:36

ewaller
Administrator

Moderator comment

infiniphunk wrote:

I'm also curious to know how to really get Virtualbox working right on Archlinux.

Please see our policy

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2012-08-18 03:36:41

illusionist

graysky wrote:

is the expected action of the daemon to automatically rebuild my virtualbox modules upon a kernel update?

It is, at least on my cent6 server.

Last edited by illusionist (2012-08-18 03:37:43)

Never argue with stupid people,They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.--Mark Twain
@github

#6 2012-08-18 03:38:43

infiniphunk

no offence taken.

from "our policy"
>>Thread hijacking is the process of replying to an existing thread with a different topic.

not too sure why you see my post as "thread hijacking" when the question I'm asking is on precisely the same topic as yours.

#7 2012-08-18 10:09:23

George

infiniphunk; That is normally understood as, unless you are having pretty much exactly the same problem (that is the topic being referred to, not the software in question) then your question belongs in a new thread.
This is a very specific question about DKMS with a *custom* kernel.

#8 2012-08-19 18:12:15

infiniphunk

ok where are the specifics then?

what I meant to say before what that it actually breaks again after each reboot and then all I have to do is reload the kernel modules.

Maybe someone who better knows how this works can give us a quick rundown here, for those among us to lazy to read manpages.

Last edited by infiniphunk (2012-08-19 18:14:32)

Board footer