You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-18 16:14:06

tbuitenh

NILFS2 on / problems: xattr -> capabilities -> ping, what else?

(probably not important: I’m using the LTS kernel because my usb wifi dongle causes kernel panics in the current kernel)

I installed / on a NILFS2 filesystem. If you want to know why I would do such a weird thing, I'll explain at the end of the post. Everything seemed fine and great until I tried to use ping...

ping: icmp open socket: Operation not permitted

So I found this thread, but...

# getcap /usr/bin/ping
Failed to get capabilities of file `/usr/bin/ping' (Operation not supported)

So apparently NILFS2 doesn’t support extended attributes and therefore capabilities, but capabilities stored in extended attributes are needed to run ping as a user. Okay. I don’t mind using sudo to ping, but I do wonder if I’m going to run into any other problems?

---

I’m using NILFS2 because pacman -Syu went badly wrong one time more than I could tolerate. I figured continuous snapshotting could provide an easy way out of a bad update, I don’t like to do full backups before every time I update. I put this explanation at the end of the post so angry people get a chance to get bored instead of shouting things like "arch is perfect and updates never FUBAR a system!" at me. If you want my opinion, arch is the worst operating system, except for all the other operating systems smile .

Last edited by tbuitenh (2012-08-18 18:15:28)

I wish life was as simple as editing config files

Board footer