I updated a couple packages the other day on two different systems, and now my locahost connections are slow.
At first I thought it was some /etc/hosts problems on the one machine because I had added some things to it. But then I discovered the other machine was behaving in the same way.
Cant find any other posts about it, so I guess others are not being affected by it. I just thought it was a bit odd.
I'm currently doing a full update on both machines to see if that fixes it.
Ok, I'm a bit stumped here. Its quite odd.
If I try and telnet to localhost (or the IP), it takes about 20 seconds for it to give me a login prompt.
Once logged in, it takes a while to startup X, and it takes a very long time to start up vmware.
I did do some updates on these two machines, but I've since 'upgraded' to the package version that were in there previously, and cant get it working.
Nobody is having this problem? Got all the latest packages, turn telnet on and try telnetting to yourself. It should come back almost immediately.
That in itself is strange, but even more strange is that vnc, directly to that machine comes up immediately.
What were the 'couple packages'? You can see in /var/log/pacman.log.
Also, post your hosts file.
Make sure you have localhost and localhost.localdomain pointing to 127.0.0.1 and nothing else.
You can also have your machiens hostname pointing to 127.0.0.1 also as I do, but this is not as nessesary as localhost and localhost.localdomain.
Hope this helps!!!
Another thing to look at is your nsswitch.conf file. Make sure that local passwd, group, host, and shadow are pointing to files first... Sometimes, NIS and/or NIS+ or DNS willbe first...
I'd forgotten to post the answer to this problem.
In the resolv.conf file, I just had two 'nameserver' entries. And this worked for a long time. But then the IT department did something to the main dns, which causes localhost lookups to fail, when it should have at least returned 127.0.0.1
As soon as I put the qualified 'domain' entry in the resolv.conf file, it stopped asking the dns for local requests.
This fixed the problem.
Thanks for the answers!