You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-24 20:38:21

Gullible Jones

[Request] Mesa, DRI CVS

Could someone please contribute the CVS versions of Mesa and DRI? The instructions for getting and compiling these are found here, I don't think I PKGBULD would be very difficult to make. I might have tried to make one, but my machine has been fried to a crisp by a power surge.

Edit: the reasons for this request are twofold. First of all, it would make it much easier to get DRI working; second, OpenGL performance with Mesa CVS seems to be much higher than with the version in the repos.

#2 2005-10-03 13:22:43

Kalidor

Re: [Request] Mesa, DRI CVS

Yes, that would be wonderful. I need to get DRI working on my laptop with ATI mach64...

#3 2005-10-03 20:33:45

Gullible Jones

For now, try the snapshots from http://dri.freedesktop.org/snapshots. Unpack the "common" package first, then the "mach64" one; then enter the dripkg directory this generates and run the install.sh script as root.

If you have any weird trouble with XOrg following this, try making a new xorg.conf with HWD ('hwd -xa' as root).

#4 2005-10-05 07:48:16

Kalidor

Well thanks, I have tried it, but the results were not what I expected. glxinfo now says "direct rendering: Yes", but the framerate in glxgears is actually lower than it was without DRI (approx. 220 instead of 270)! The gears appear to move smoother, though.

Xorg.log says that AGP is not available and that I should make sure that agpgart is loaded. According to lsmod agpgart is loaded and used by drm.

It would have been to easy, I guess...[/i]

#5 2006-02-13 02:04:28

NecroRomancist

A friend of mine gave me is 9700 and i'm using the libgl-dri from testing but the driver is really old (from 2004 sad) so it would be really cool if someone did this smile I've tried the snapshots but i couldn't get direct rendering working...something not exporting fbconfigs

#6 2006-02-13 05:11:57

Gullible Jones

Try the proprietary ATI drivers, they're better for now. From what I hear, they've actually improved quite a bit.

#7 2006-02-13 05:43:03

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Gullible Jones wrote:

Try the proprietary ATI drivers, they're better for now. From what I hear, they've actually improved quite a bit.

Just for your reference, if you decide to follow Gullible's advice: ATI fglrx and Xorg 7

#8 2006-02-13 12:43:28

Blind

You are right about the ATI driver
...but then again, things like compositing are not supported by their driver (well, at least, the last time I tried it produced a lot of crap on my screen); DRI gets turned off right away for sure.
The open source drivers would not do that AFAIK. But I don't really know how stable they are since I could never get them to work.
Maybe somebody of you guys can tell me what is going on there:
The open source DRI/DRM drivers were supposed to be included in xorg7 but I cannot get them to work with the stuff from testing? My whole box just drops dead (need for hardware reset). If the mesa-cvs is needed for that, then I would also be very interested in a PKBUILD for it. But I don't understand this, I mean, if the driver (talking about r300) is included why not include the rest to make it work. Or is the xorg7 in testing not compiled for this (-> need for special compile flags?).
Anyway, I have given up on this. I unfortunately dont have the time to go into further detail, but ATI and Linux seems to be a problem to begin with.
Cheers,
Blind

#9 2006-02-13 13:19:11

NecroRomancist

Maybe somebody of you guys can tell me what is going on there:
The open source DRI/DRM drivers were supposed to be included in xorg7 but I cannot get them to work with the stuff from testing? My whole box just drops dead (need for hardware reset). If the mesa-cvs is needed for that, then I would also be very interested in a PKBUILD for it. But I don't understand this, I mean, if the driver (talking about r300) is included why not include the rest to make it work. Or is the xorg7 in testing not compiled for this (-> need for special compile flags?).

I've managed to get direct rendering to run..i can even play some opengl base games(mostly emulators) but after a while everything crashes.I'd like to  stay with DRI but i'll have give the ati drivers a try.

#10 2006-02-13 14:02:17

Blind

Did you have to compile anything? Or did you just use the 'generic' xorg7 from testing? What ATI card do you have?
Mine is a Mobility Radeon 9700
Cheers,
Blind

#11 2006-02-13 18:11:43

NecroRomancist

I used the generic xorg from testing.
This is what i did

1 - As i previously had a nvidia card libglx.so from xorg-server did not get extracted so i had to manually extract it to /usr/lib/xorg/modules
2- Change xorg.conf
3- gpasswd -a my_user video
4 - Added these modules drm radeon to modules section on rc.conf and i rebooted.

After these steps i had direct rendering working but very very broken

#12 2006-02-14 12:09:04

Blind

Thanks a lot!
I guess I forgot to put my user into the video group. What a stupid mistake sad
Maybe one should add a Wiki entry for this......

Greetings,
Blind

#13 2006-02-14 15:23:09

NecroRomancist

I've managed to compile the mesa cvs and drm cvs and everything runs much better now smile After you get the cvs just cd to drm and do make this will create a new libdrm.Then cd to linux-core and type make you'll get the new drm.ko and radeon.ko.Then go to the Mesa topdir and make linux-dri-x86.
Replace the files on /usr/lib/ and /usr/lib/xorg/modules with the ones you've created.Restart the X and you should have MESA 6.5 from cvs up and running.

PS - If you get some error message like "3D driver does not export any fbconfigs" that probably is a conflict between the libGL you had with the new one.Check /usr/lib

It isn't that difficult.I lost my internet connection at home(writing from univ sad ) but if i managed to get that sorted out i'll try to make a pkgbuild and post it here.

#14 2006-02-15 08:15:08

Blind

Thanks a lot.
I have tried the generic xorg7 from testing with your help now. It crashed every once in a while - just froze. I don't know, probably I would try your PKGBUILD, but right now I don't have the guts to keep the OS drivers. Could get ugly if my computer crashes during a presentation.
Cheers,
Blind

Board footer