You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-26 02:41:40

JazzplayerL9

LXDM and DWM - no response until tag switch

I'm having a problem after logging into dwm from LXDM in that the desktop loads just fine, but it's completely unresponsive until I use a mouse click to change tags.  After I change tags, everything is fine.  I've searched through my logs, checked a ton of google search results, and asked a bit in IRC to no avail.  Does anyone have a fix?  My logs don't give any real useful information at all and I haven't seen any error messages.

#2 2012-08-26 09:47:42

Unia
Website

Re: LXDM and DWM - no response until tag switch

Is it a stock DWM, or is it patched? If it's patched, do try with a stock one to see if one of your patches is causing this.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#3 2012-08-26 16:23:55

JazzplayerL9

@Unia,

I've tried it with vanilla DWM as well.  The only patch I have is the systray patch and since it wasn't working before the patch, it isn't the patch.  I mean, it's not a horrible problem, just a minor inconvenience that I can get used to if necessary.  Just hoping someone else had the same problem with a fix.

#4 2012-08-26 17:09:08

Unia
Website

Hm, oke. How do you start LXDM/DWM? Try starting DWM in another way, for example through running startx from console with a minimal .xinitrc:

#!/bin/bash
exec ck-launch-session dwm

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#5 2012-08-26 18:06:21

JazzplayerL9

Starting dwm from a console works fine.  I was using the systemd service to start LXDM, which I had set to use the pam_systemd.so service and also unlock gnome keyrings in /etc/pam.d/lxdm.  I got annoyed with LXDM though and now I'm just logging in through a console.  I've set up my .xinitrc to load a wm based on what I type with "xinit $1."  Is there a possibility that the pam gnome keyring or systemd config are causing trouble?

Edit: I removed the gnome keyring bits from /etc/pam.d/lxdm and the problem still exists.

Last edited by JazzplayerL9 (2012-08-26 18:14:51)

#6 2012-08-26 19:10:51

Unia
Website

I don't know, I don't use either LXDM or pam. I do this:

1. Automatic login to console: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Au … ing_agetty
2. Automatic start of X once I log in: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Start_X_at_Boot

This way, I don't need a display manager. Yes, people can login on my account because it logs you in automatically, but I trust the people I live with (parents and brother) and even if I didn't, they're all die-hard Windows fans so they probably wouldn't even know how to open applications tongue

#7 2012-08-26 21:10:55

mokasin

Same problem here with LXDM + Awesome WM.

It responds not until I start a terminal from the menu or something like that.

#8 2012-09-07 14:00:29

cyang

JazzplayerL9 wrote:

I'm having a problem after logging into dwm from LXDM in that the desktop loads just fine, but it's completely unresponsive until I use a mouse click to change tags.  After I change tags, everything is fine.  I've searched through my logs, checked a ton of google search results, and asked a bit in IRC to no avail.  Does anyone have a fix?  My logs don't give any real useful information at all and I haven't seen any error messages.

I'm experiencing the same thing, except I think middle clicking on the status area also cures the unresponsiveness.

My two cents is that is a LXDM problem. On another computer I start DWM through SLiM and there are no problems.

Last edited by cyang (2012-09-07 14:02:41)

Board footer