You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-27 02:21:48

Pl4t0

dssi-vst and using windows VST plugins

I've been trying to set up the DAW Renoise to use VST plugins that are native to Windows using the dssi-vst wrapper.  I've been using the package offered from the AUR, which is flagged out of date but I don't suppose that has much to do with my problems.

My problem is basically this: when I run "vsthost 'pluginname.dll'", dssi-vst complains that it can't find the "dssi-vst-server" executable, which as I discovered is stored in the folder /usr/local/lib/dssi/dssi-vst as dssi-vst-server.exe.so, accompanied by dssi-vst-scanner.exe.so.  I imagine that this results from not having properly configured my DSSI_PATH, which I have currently pointing at the directory in which these two executables are stored (/usr/local/lib/dssi/dssi-vst), and I need to set it somewhere else - but the information has simply escaped me, I can't find any mention of where my DSSI_PATH is supposed to point.  Or maybe the problem is with the actual installation of dssi-vst. 

Failing that, is there anywhere that actually has a comprehensive guide on installing dssi-vst?  The Readme available on the site is not very helpful and all I can dig up are little scraps of information here and there, usually from various forum posts and usually information too specific to be of any general use.

Last edited by Pl4t0 (2012-08-27 03:05:30)

#2 2012-08-27 03:55:04

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Re: dssi-vst and using windows VST plugins

Looking at the dssi-vst PKGBUILD, it seems like it installs /usr/lib/dssi/dssi-vst/{dssi-vst-server, dssi-vst-scanner}. Are you sure you're supposed to have that stuff in /usr/local/?

6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

#3 2012-08-27 04:36:25

Pl4t0

ConnorBehan wrote:

Looking at the dssi-vst PKGBUILD, it seems like it installs /usr/lib/dssi/dssi-vst/{dssi-vst-server, dssi-vst-scanner}. Are you sure you're supposed to have that stuff in /usr/local/?

No, I'm not sure at all.  But then, I have no idea where it would go besides there.  I'll move 'em around and give it a shot.

EDIT: Freshly exported the DSSI_PATH back to "/usr/local/lib/dssi", with the original files still present, and what do you know, the program 'vst host' required to run the plugins doesn't bail out for lack of the executable files anymore.

Now, it just bails out whenever I address the location of the plugin in question.  For instance, I'll put in a command like:

$ vsthost ~/plugins/plugin.dll

And it returns something exciting like:

'RemoteVSTClient: executing /usr/local/lib/dssi/dssi-bst/dssi-vst-server.exe -g ~/plugins/plugin.dll'

But it then fails with the remark:

'Plugin server time out on startup: No such device or address', and I'm not certain whether this refers to the .dll or still pertains to the executable files. 

I've already got JACK running, as well as the program I want to use the plugin with (Renoise), is there a step I'm missing here or something?

Last edited by Pl4t0 (2012-08-27 05:12:11)

#4 2012-09-07 20:46:59

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

You may need to first clear out your /usr/local of all things dssi-vst and then install dssi-vst from our repos. I believe you installed it manually. It will then become easier for us to troubleshoot.

Now, it has been some time since I last used these stuff, and I have no plug-ins to test ATM (truth: lazy). There has been no bug reports, so I assume things should work as documented upstream. You may also try fst-git and fsthost from AUR. I can remember one gotcha with dssi-vst and paths, though, and it is documented here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pr … _Variables

I advise you to test with a free and simple plug-in [1]. Hop on to IRC #archaudio @ freenode there may be others to help you out.

[1] http://www.dskmusic.com/

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

#5 2012-10-09 01:36:05

capoeira

schivmeister wrote:

You may need to first clear out your /usr/local of all things dssi-vst and then install dssi-vst from our repos.

you know that FalkTX made a new version?
https://github.com/falkTX/dssi-vst

#6 2012-10-09 09:22:40

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

Yes, but as it is upstream is still breakfastquay and that is considered a fork. Other than that I'm not really sure to what extent his version fixes things and whether we should be "changing" the upstream.

#7 2012-10-09 14:18:37

capoeira

schivmeister wrote:

Yes, but as it is upstream is still breakfastquay and that is considered a fork. Other than that I'm not really sure to what extent his version fixes things and whether we should be "changing" the upstream.

http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=8128

#8 2012-10-09 15:05:56

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

Thanks capoeira, so is the breakfastquay dssi-vst no longer working? Have not received any bug reports to indicate so.

#9 2012-10-09 15:31:59

capoeira

schivmeister wrote:

Thanks capoeira, so is the breakfastquay dssi-vst no longer working? Have not received any bug reports to indicate so.

last time I tried 0.9.2-2 from repros I couldn't load any vst-plugin anymore. this with festige. I'm pretty sure that this is because of wine updates.

at the moment I can't even install it because libtool needs gcc=4.7.2 and there is still no gcc multilib version

#10 2012-10-10 04:12:45

capoeira

problem might be the dssi package. I can't use any dssi-plugin in qtractor. The GUIs don't show up

#11 2012-10-11 03:16:20

capoeira

man, there are no plugins working which have a GUI. Not LV2, not DSSI, not native vst, not win VST.
I'm not sure where to report a BUG (where is the problem?), or if even something is wrong in my sistem, so I'm gonna open another thread here the forum

Board footer