You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-28 13:47:00

zoqaeski

[SOLVED] Unable to find LVM Volume Groups (Kernel Panic / udev)

I'm getting kernel panics at boot since the last couple of upgrades because for some reason it isn't finding my LVM volume groups. The problem only started occurring since I've switched to systemd, but reverting that doesn't seem to solve the problem. There's nothing wrong with the volume groups, as I can boot up using the Arch install disk as a live rescue disk, mount and chroot into them, and LVM reports that everything is ok.

The group is called 'volgroup' and the three partitions inside it are 'lvhome', 'lvroot' and 'lvswap', and my kernel line is 'APPEND root=/dev/mapper/volgroup-lvroot resume=/dev/mapper/volgroup-lvswap ro' which used to work just fine. Now udev spits the dummy.

Has anyone else encountered this? How can I fix it, I feel like I've tried everything, because all the usual culprits like hooks in mkinitcpio.conf &c haven't changed. I've just downgraded a kernel version so I'm going to see if that will help.

Last edited by zoqaeski (2012-08-28 14:52:39)

#2 2012-08-28 13:56:01

Bevan

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to find LVM Volume Groups (Kernel Panic / udev)

Hi!

Have you already tried to add "lvmwait=/dev/sdXX" to the kernel boot parameters? sdXX has to be the partition which is your LVM physical volume.

I have to use this as well since the update to linux 3.5.

#3 2012-08-28 14:51:51

zoqaeski

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to find LVM Volume Groups (Kernel Panic / udev)

That fixed it. Thanks!

Board footer