You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-30 20:34:01

hellomynameisphil
Website

[SOLVED] Couple of issues with systemd

EDIT: Both issues seem to have solved themselved mysteriously.

Switched over to systemd on my X-less home server and mostly have things running OK.

At the end of my startup, after a rather long pause, I get this message:

[FAILED] Failed to start Login Service.

But I can actually log in, so I don't know what this is about.

# systemctl status systemd-logind.service
systemd-logind.service - Login Service
          Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-logind.service; static)
          Active: activating (start) since Thu, 30 Aug 2012 13:34:53 -0700; 43s ago
            Docs: man:systemd-logind.service(8)
                  man:logind.conf(5)
                  http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/multiseat
        Main PID: 1615 (systemd-logind)
          CGroup: name=systemd:/system/systemd-logind.service
                  └ 1615 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-logind

Aug 30 13:34:53 archae systemd-logind[1615]: New seat seat0.
Aug 30 13:34:53 archae systemd-logind[1615]: Watching system buttons on /dev/input/event4 (Power Button)
Aug 30 13:34:53 archae systemd-logind[1615]: Watching system buttons on /dev/input/event5 (Video Bus)
Aug 30 13:34:53 archae systemd-logind[1615]: Watching system buttons on /dev/input/event3 (Power Button)
Aug 30 13:34:53 archae systemd-logind[1615]: Watching system buttons on /dev/input/event1 (Lid Switch)
Aug 30 13:34:53 archae systemd-logind[1615]: Watching system buttons on /dev/input/event2 (Sleep Button)
Aug 30 13:34:53 archae systemd-logind[1615]: New session 3 of user phil.
Aug 30 13:34:53 archae systemd-logind[1615]: New session 2 of user phil.
Aug 30 13:34:53 archae systemd-logind[1615]: New session 1 of user phil.

Also when I try to run systemd-analyze, I get this after a long pause:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/systemd-analyze", line 307, in <module>
    time()
  File "/usr/bin/systemd-analyze", line 91, in time
    initrd_time, start_time, finish_time = acquire_start_time()
  File "/usr/bin/systemd-analyze", line 32, in acquire_start_time
    properties = dbus.Interface(bus.get_object('org.freedesktop.systemd1', '/org/freedesktop/systemd1'), 'org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 241, in get_object
    follow_name_owner_changes=follow_name_owner_changes)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 248, in __init__
    self._named_service = conn.activate_name_owner(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 180, in activate_name_owner
    self.start_service_by_name(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 278, in start_service_by_name
    'su', (bus_name, flags)))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 651, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

EDIT: I have python2-dbus installed.

Last edited by hellomynameisphil (2012-08-31 17:17:16)

#2 2012-09-06 17:47:34

DSpider

Re: [SOLVED] Couple of issues with systemd

From a chroot, use the workaround from the comments section from this AUR package. Because, if you look carefully, it's related to a very similar error.

Workaround:

# mkdir -p /include/python2.7
# ln -s /usr/include/python2.7/pyconfig.h /include/python2.7/pyconfig.h

By the way, someone from the IRC channel claimed he was getting these errors and he even linked to this topic. Since he was already chrooted into his Arch install from a Knoppix LiveCD, I suggested he run these, he did, and then he didn't come back. So I'm guessing it worked... If anyone else is having this issue, you should reply here if it worked or not (to confirm or deny that the workaround is good or not). This information could be useful for someone else. Edit: A few hours later he said it didn't help.

Last edited by DSpider (2012-09-06 19:06:53)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2012-09-18 15:58:47

ema

I got basically the same symptoms as the op, but alas on my system the problem didn't vanish magically.
The workaround didn't work for me either.

Last edited by ema (2012-09-18 15:59:59)

#4 2012-09-18 16:02:21

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

ema, welcome to Arch.

You will get better help if you open a new topic (you can point back to this one for reference). Many people will miss your post because this topic is marked [SOLVED]. Also "I got basically the same symptoms as the OP" is not very descriptive. Please provide more information about exactly what is wrong and what you have done to try to solve the problem.

You might benefit from reading the How to Post section of the Forum Etiquette.

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2012-09-18 16:06:28)

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#5 2012-12-27 09:37:53

nastycino

Hello,
I got the same errors as hellomynameisphil and ema and my problems didn't solve themselves mysteriously and workaround didn't work neither. I described the problem and what I've done here:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=154933

Last edited by nastycino (2012-12-27 09:49:59)

#6 2012-12-28 03:06:39

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

nastycino wrote:

Hello,
I got the same errors as hellomynameisphil and ema and my problems didn't solve themselves mysteriously and workaround didn't work neither. I described the problem and what I've done here:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=154933

Then why should you need to post here? That's effectively cross-posting, don't do that.

Closing the thread.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer