You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-03 23:15:19

hooya

Numlock (Fn) comes on by itself after long periods of standby

Gnome environment. Asus EEE PC running I think 64 bit but I'll have to check. (it's my wife's laptop)

Every so often, apparently when the computer has been sitting idle for some time, the number pad keys are enabled. It's easy to turn off (Fn+numlock) but it's annoying when you start typing an odd things start happening because your right hand is on the superimposed number keys.

Any idea why this might happen? It may be tied to standby, but it never happens when the lid is closed, putting the computer to sleep manually, then being awoken. It seems to happen only when left standing open and then returning to it a few hours later, like if she forgets to close the laptop overnight.

#2 2012-09-03 23:48:12

illusionist

Re: Numlock (Fn) comes on by itself after long periods of standby

looks like xset related issue, try numlockx
I know it is not a fix but a workaround .

Never argue with stupid people,They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.--Mark Twain
@github

#3 2012-09-04 03:08:31

hooya

Does numlockx also affect the Fn keys on laptops? It's not a dedicated number pad, if that's not clear.

#4 2012-09-04 04:44:32

illusionist

no it does not effect the function keys , it just automates the keypress of "num lock" button on standard keyboard.

Never argue with stupid people,They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.--Mark Twain
@github

Board footer