You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-04 03:07:45

James8562

[SOLVED] Syslinux boot returns Missing OS

I have 2 drives, each partitioned with a gpt table and a few mdadm partitions. I have a separate /boot partition, set up in raid 1, formatted ext4 and starting at sector 2048. In the arch-chroot I can install syslinux using syslinux-install_update -iam successfuly, however, when I reboot I get two Missing OS messages on the screen. (I assume from the bios attempting to boot from each drive) I have confirmed via sgdisk /dev/sd[ab] --attributes=1:show that the legacy boot option is set on both drives.

Just to reiterate I don't get a syslinux prompt or menu, it splashes Missing OS once for each hard drive and then moves on to other boot options. I'm at a dead end in my troubleshooting since every command I run returns exactly what it should. I'm not sure where to go next so I hope someone out there can point me in the right direction.

Last edited by James8562 (2012-09-05 03:46:15)

#2 2012-09-04 07:20:22

Shark

Re: [SOLVED] Syslinux boot returns Missing OS

Did you corectly edited /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg file?
Was your boot partition mounted when you have installed syslinux?

See more info on wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … stallation

You can use your installation media to fix the issue.

Last edited by Shark (2012-09-04 07:20:47)

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them.
Henry David Thoreau

Registered Linux User: #559057

#3 2012-09-04 13:44:59

James8562

My syslinux.cfg file is extremely simple, I would post it but I'm not near that computer at the moment. However, I don't think I'm actually getting to that point as Missing OS seems to be well before syslinux even tries to execute the directives in that config file.

My boot partition was indeed mounted and was successfully identified by syslinux-install_update -iam. The syslinux installer was also able to identify my raid as well as install the correct MBR (gptmbr.bin).

Thanks for the link but this is the exact guide I'm using and I've been over that page about 10 times.

#4 2012-09-04 14:11:39

Shark

Aha.
Look syslinux official wiki:
http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/ … mbr.bin.29

Please post your config file when you will have a chance.

Last edited by Shark (2012-09-04 14:17:27)

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them.
Henry David Thoreau

#5 2012-09-04 14:25:02

James8562

Thanks again for the link smile but like I said in my original post...

James8562 wrote:

I have confirmed via sgdisk /dev/sd[ab] --attributes=1:show that the legacy boot option is set on both drives.

Also, I confirmed in gparted that sda1 and sdb1 had the legacy boot flag set.

Thanks for the help though, I just wish there was some way to see what syslinux is trying to do to find the OS.

#6 2012-09-04 14:29:41

Shark

What is your path of vmlinuz in config file?

Henry David Thoreau

#7 2012-09-04 23:37:09

James8562

The path to this config is /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg. I have double checked that the relative paths to the kernel and the initrd are correct and that sda4 is the correct root partition. During my initial troubleshooting I even went so far as to try using /dev/md0 (the mdadm node for the root partition). I just want to reiterate that I don't see any attempt by syslinux to parse this config. It just says Missing OS and continues on without even so much as a syslinux prompt.

PROMPT 1
TIMEOUT 50
DEFAULT arch

LABEL arch
        LINUX ../vmlinuz-linux
        APPEND root=/dev/sda4 ro
        INITRD ../initramfs-linux.img

LABEL archfallback
        LINUX ../vmlinuz-linux
        APPEND root=/dev/sda4 ro
        INITRD ../initramfs-linux-fallback.img

#8 2012-09-04 23:56:30

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

James' syslinux.cfg wrote:

APPEND root=/dev/sda4 ro

Shouldn't that be /dev/mdx?

And, please see How to Post, particularly the section on Asking Questions the Smart Way: without some more helpful information, like your raid setup, partition tables, mkinitcpio details, etc people trying to help are reduced to guessing...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#9 2012-09-05 00:25:12

James8562

jasonwryan, while I appreciate your attempt to help, twice you have broken one of the most important rules you just quoted me. You did not read my most recent reply in full, in it I state that I tried /dev/md0 already and received the same result. Also, my original post contained a lot of information related to my partition structure and raid setup, and while I did not list it in full I also don't think that much of that info is relevant at this point considering my problem is that I can't get syslinux to even attempt to boot my kernel. If later in the troubleshooting process it becomes relevant I will post it but regurgitating every config on my system into my original post just muddies the waters and could possibly result in breaking another rule you just quoted: "Be PRECISE and informative about your problem".

Lets not break another rule and distract from the topic at hand by continuing to argue. I have used arch linux faithfully for almost 4 years now and have relied heavily on this community and would love to contribute back via the resolution to this problem. Does anyone else have any suggestions or would like to see a particular config file.

#10 2012-09-05 00:32:17

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Thanks for the lecture. In my understanding "a few mdadm partitions" is not the same as your raid setup or your partition table. So your initial post is neither precise nor informative, IMO.

Yes, I missed that you had tried /dev/md0, mea culpa. Good luck with your issue.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#11 2012-09-05 03:56:20

James8562

This was totally my mistake...over and over again smile. I kept misreading the wiki post at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/So … oot_loader. It clearly states that syslinux does NOT support metadata 1.2 and that Grub 2 does. Every time I read that sentence I must have switched them in my head.

The conclusion to this story is: If you get a Missing OS error message, check the details surrounding your boot partition as Shark suggested. Also, make sure you didn't accidentally take defaults on the metadata when creating the array for your boot partition.

Board footer