You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-05 04:48:11

leonidas
Website

Nvidia Optimus

My laptop has two graphic cards (Dell Inspiron N7110):

lspci|grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 540M] (rev a1)

After a clean install, I install the drivers:
xf86-video-intel
And I follow the instructions to install bumblebee
After the process I try to run startx but I get error:

ERROR:could not insert 'i915': No such device
Fatal server error:
no screens found

Then I install the drivers: xf86-video-intel-sna but nothing changed, the same error.
Should I enable KMS? In the documentation says that "...is enabled by default as of kernel v2.6.32".
Any help please?

#2 2012-09-05 05:49:29

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Nvidia Optimus

Use a more descriptive title. It is not at all clear what resources you've referred to while attempting to solve this problem. If there were none, get some.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2012-09-05 07:35:24

i_magnific0

I too had troubles starting X with an Optimus configuration. For me it was solved by adding /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Intel Graphics"
        Driver          "intel"
        Option          "AccelMethod"           "sna"
EndSection

NB: This file could prevent optirun from running, as documented on the Bumblebee article on the wiki. This is the case for me, so I have to temporarily move it somewhere else before I launch an application with optirun, but move it back before a reboot. Good fun!

#4 2012-09-06 06:32:03

leonidas
Website

Finally I found the problem. For some reason my lapton could boot only with acpi=off, which prevent to load i915 DRM driver. I change that to pci=noacpi and my X doesn't crash using the Intel driver.

Board footer