You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-07 19:52:09

Bazillus

Running Intel HD Graphics for UI and Nvidia GT640m for CUDA

Hello,

I wanted to configure my laptop with arch64 in such a way that I can run all the UI stuff on the Intel integrated video card and still being able to debug my CUDA application without having my desktop freezing. But there's conflict between libgl and nvidia-utils.
When libgl is installed then GNOME shows up in good quality, but CUDA doesn't work. On the other side, when nvdiai-utils is installed GNOME goes to fallback mode and the CUDA stuff runs.

In the first case, the nvidia cuda driver aren't loaded. In the second case, Cuda works, but i don't know on which device the desktop stuff is executed. How do I find out? How to run both side by side?

The devices:
Intel HD Graphics 4000 (i7 3610QM) for X
Nvidia GT 640m only for CUDA.

Thank you for your time.

#2 2012-09-07 20:54:36

Strike0

Re: Running Intel HD Graphics for UI and Nvidia GT640m for CUDA

Have a look, if that helps with your setup: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Le … VIDIA_Card
Maybe things get easier with X 1.13.

#3 2012-09-11 14:21:54

Bazillus

Re: Running Intel HD Graphics for UI and Nvidia GT640m for CUDA

Since I have only mathematical computations to do, I solved it like that:

The proposed solution with AUR package, contains old dev-drivers for x64. The same for the nvidia website. Only the nvidia and nvidia-utils package from extra are up to date.

So I downloaded the nvidia packages (nvidia and nvidia-utils) and installed them, then i installed cuda-sdk and cuda-toolkit from community. After that I unzipped nvidia and nvidia-utils to some folder, removed the files conflicting with Intel's OpenGL and forced the removal of nvidia and nvidia-utils. Then I copied the unpack files to their intended place and reinstalled Intel's OpenGL package.

It works for purely local numerical computations. Note that OpenGL can not be execute on this machine, but development is possible.

Board footer