You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-30 01:24:42

Cam
Website

Is this package okay?

What is the general consensus on Flash movies and extracting parts from them? I just packaged up an app to use personally that extract Actionscript from SWF files, would it be suitable to submit to AUR? It doesn't (and can't) touch and images or content, just Actionscript.

Feedback would be appreciated.

#2 2005-08-30 15:32:11

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Is this package okay?

Cam wrote:

What is the general consensus on Flash movies and extracting parts from them? I just packaged up an app to use personally that extract Actionscript from SWF files, would it be suitable to submit to AUR? It doesn't (and can't) touch and images or content, just Actionscript.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Hmmm, I don't know if there is a consensus on this.  It's going to depend on possible *legal* uses.  Technically this would be "reverse engineering", but that's not a bad thing in all cases.

Is there any part of the Flash EULA (or whatever) that prevents this sort of thing, or is it up to the movie author?

#3 2005-09-04 05:31:46

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

Re: Is this package okay?

What does it matter? We're not distributing the binary if Cam just uploads the PKGBUILD. So long as a TU doesn't go off and adopt it and start binary distributing it from community, I don't believe any problems can arrise. In the latter case though, things may need to be checked out.

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

Board footer