You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-14 22:27:36

senjin
Website

[Solved] Severely broken system after update

I need help with system that doesn't boot after update.

I tried to make pacman -Syu on a system which was not updated since 2010 xmass... probably being overwhelmed by number of issues I did something wrong, but now the system is in a very bad state.

I think that the main issue was glibc update. I followed the instruction to install all other packages before glibc, but every second package was complaining about glibc (although they all updated). Then pacman became broken, but I solved this and finally everything got updated.

Everything looked fine right after update, but now the system is "unable to find root device" on boot.

I tried to boot with recent arch usb stick (cd drive is broken in the computer), but it doesn't boot (reboots right after "loading archiso.img"). I managed to boot with ubuntu usb stick. I chrooted to my arch partition using these instructions:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Chroot#Change_root
then, following pacman wiki I reinstalled linux, mkinitcpio and systemd.

It didn't help. The last thing I can think of is to reinstall all packages via chroot. Is there any handy way to do this, taking into account that some packages could have been installed from AUR (I don't care about them at this point, but I wouldn't like this to stop me from reinstalling all other packages)?

Any other ideas?

Last edited by senjin (2012-09-15 19:34:26)

#2 2012-09-15 05:31:03

theshadster

Re: [Solved] Severely broken system after update

Have you checked which partition is set as root in /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg ?
I know when I install it's always set to /dev/sda3 and has to be changed to /dev/sda1.

#3 2012-09-15 08:48:11

senjin
Website

Hmmm... but there is still old grub installed. I don't have /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg file at all

Upgrading all packages didn't help (although only now I realised that the filesystem package was not updated correctly before).

Last edited by senjin (2012-09-15 08:48:59)

#4 2012-09-15 10:08:07

illusionist

It is not a solution but IMHO you should start fresh considering the fact that your system hasn't been updated in the two years.

Never argue with stupid people,They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.--Mark Twain
@github

#5 2012-09-15 12:26:31

senjin
Website

It's not a solution since arch installation usb stick doesn't work for me, as I mentioned above. hmm I must either make this installation work, or move to ubuntu (gah!)

edit:
I managed to boot. After the error message at the beginning I'm left with "you can type exit to continue booting, but it will most likely fail"... it doesn't fail, and system appears to be working normally (well, except some error about consolekit when X is starting, probably unrelated).

Now the question is how to avoid this error message at the beginning...

Last edited by senjin (2012-09-15 13:04:04)

#6 2012-09-15 15:24:48

theshadster

I'd guess that there is a mix-mungle between grub2 and systemd -

then, following pacman wiki I reinstalled linux, mkinitcpio and systemd.

My vote would be to go to pure systemd and dump grub2. There is wiki page on the process to go thru' to do this, should you want to.

#7 2012-09-15 16:28:16

senjin
Website

Huh, fixed.

The reason was that the only HOOK I had in mkinitcpio.conf was base. After adding all default HOOKS everything works fine.

So, I removed that other HOOKS long time ago following some instruction on speeding up system. Definitely this speed up was not worth loosing 2 days now. Lesson learnt.

BTW, I read grub2 installation instructions, but I decided I will do that when I have more time - all this messing with partitions can go wrong, and I don't have time for this now.

Thank you for help and suggestions.

#8 2012-09-15 19:29:12

illusionist

Don't forget to mark your thread as [Solved] , if all the issues are resolved.

Never argue with stupid people,They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.--Mark Twain
@github

#9 2012-09-21 00:30:53

cfr

theshadster wrote:

My vote would be to go to pure systemd and dump grub2. There is wiki page on the process to go thru' to do this, should you want to.

What do you mean? "Pure systemd" is not an alternative to a boot loader (grub2 or anything else). If you dump grub2 (and other boot loaders) because you've got "pure systemd", you'll have no way to boot. Besides, the OP doesn't even have grub2 installed.

For things to work, you need *both* an init system (e.g. systemd) *and* a boot loader (e.g. grub, grub2, syslinux, whatever).

The only exception is if you're using EFI stub.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Help Vampires

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | grub2 | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x121e | Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2367M CPU @ 1.40GHz GenuineIntel | Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 | US keyboard with Euro | 320G 7200 RPM Seagate HDD

Board footer