You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-01 22:20:23

magnum_opus

windowlab

well it's one of those things, at first i just tried it for an hour and dismissed it, but then a new version got released (like the day after i tried) so i updated and tried it again, and it started growing on me. i like the resizing,  the constrained title bars, even the amiga style focus policy has sorta grown on me.
intelligent (or better) window placement would be nice, as it stands it just drops it under you're mouse so for applications that launch quickly (terminals) you end up with a lot of them stacked ontop of each other.

the problem with updating the windowlab in community is that the code that controls where windowlab.menurc is doesn't like to let you put it in /etc anymore so the options are (i think) /etc/X11/windowlab/, ~/.windowlab/ or usr/local/windowlab/.

the obvious (and the one that follows arch packaging guidlines) best choice is ~/.windowlab/ but i have no idea how(if possible) to make the package create that folder. if I did i would have already tried to adopt it.

also the file used to be called sample.menurc, now it's windowlab.menurc (there's a line in the pkgbuild that copies it to an appropriate (well for 1.27) location)

past that it builds fine and i use a pkgbuild for it when i update, installation is just a bit questionable.

#2 2005-09-01 22:53:03

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: windowlab

I split this out, hope ya don't mind.  But I wanted to discuss this and didn't want to clutter the screenshot thread.

You may want to readd the "background is from pixelgirlpresents" part to that thread - I couldn't do that.

magnum_opus wrote:

well it's one of those things, at first i just tried it for an hour and dismissed it, but then a new version got released (like the day after i tried) so i updated and tried it again, and it started growing on me. i like the resizing,  the constrained title bars, even the amiga style focus policy has sorta grown on me.
intelligent (or better) window placement would be nice, as it stands it just drops it under you're mouse so for applications that launch quickly (terminals) you end up with a lot of them stacked ontop of each other.

Yeah, when I first tried it, it was an eye opener.  Mainly because it was against the standard paradigm.  It actually seemed very cool, and was one of the quickest I've come across.

magnum_opus wrote:

[the problem with updating the windowlab in community is that the code that controls where windowlab.menurc is doesn't like to let you put it in /etc anymore so the options are (i think) /etc/X11/windowlab/, ~/.windowlab/ or usr/local/windowlab/.

the obvious (and the one that follows arch packaging guidlines) best choice is ~/.windowlab/ but i have no idea how(if possible) to make the package create that folder. if I did i would have already tried to adopt it.

also the file used to be called sample.menurc, now it's windowlab.menurc (there's a line in the pkgbuild that copies it to an appropriate (well for 1.27) location)

past that it builds fine and i use a pkgbuild for it when i update, installation is just a bit questionable.

Hmmm, well, seeing as there's no way to create the user file (how would pacman know which user to do it for? all? just one?), I'd probably cram the file in /usr/share/windowlab/windowlab.menurc.sample and have some output to copy the sample.

I'll look into fixing it up tonight - I can be a sed-wizard when I try.

Problem with the community package is that it needs to be orphaned first - I'll try and get it forced tonight, though I can still update it via CVS even if contrasutra is gone.

#3 2005-09-02 19:36:23

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

I have made some changes and enabled Xft support.  Please let me know what you think.

I have moved the defualt config to /usr/share/windowlab/windowlab.menurc

#4 2005-09-02 21:18:05

magnum_opus

phrakture wrote:

I have made some changes and enabled Xft support.  Please let me know what you think.

I have moved the default config to /usr/share/windowlab/windowlab.menurc

very nice.

one thing though in the windowlab.menurc it still has the edit menu option pointing at /etc/x11/windowlab/, which is bit confusing. that could probably be taken care of with a quick sed in the build script.

#5 2005-09-03 13:22:49

corky

Any clues on how to set the xft font?, I've tried using the -font option with various combinations when starting windowlab, but no success  :cry:

mov ah, 0
int 16h

#6 2005-09-04 12:34:48

corky

Ok, I got it to use a different font using the -*-*.. old xfontsel format, but obviously this isn't the xft way of setting the font, I'm not convinced that xft fonts are properly supported (at all?) in this pkg.

mov ah, 0
int 16h

#7 2005-09-17 17:49:23

Frem
Website

I tried it a while back too. It was cool, but had a few annoying bugs. I emailed a few suggestions to the author, and a few weeks lated, I got a reply saying a new version had been released with my ideas implanted! I'm still not quite sure if I want to use it all the time, but at least the author listens to suggestions from the users. smile

Board footer