You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-20 07:54:37

lspci

BIOS updates? -- Syslinux problems

Are BIOS updates even possible/safe in Linux?  I bing'd it and read an article about using flashrom, so I did a quick

$ pacman -Ss flashrom

and noticed that we've got it in our repos, which I remember already knowing, so I'm now wondering why did I even bother to search for it...

anyway, so would it be safe to try to use flashrom to do a BIOS update for my ACER laptop, because it REALLY needs one.  It can't even run Syslinux--Syslinux starts up and then just sits there like a bump on a log.   My other option is to reinstall Windows 7, which stopped working after I changed my HDD's part table to GPT and moved the Windows Paritions to the end where they could sit and do... nothing, I guess. 

Any ideas?

Oooh, quick note.  It seems that Syslinux does not work when booting from a USB, but does when booting from a DVD or CD, how odd.

Last edited by lspci (2012-09-20 08:02:03)

Please don't be a help vampire. | Bitbucket

Give a little more for a little less today.  smile

#2 2012-09-20 08:03:25

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: BIOS updates? -- Syslinux problems

U sure that your bios does not have aa built in flash util?  Most modern ones do.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2012-09-20 08:31:36

lspci

graysky wrote:

U sure that your bios does not have aa built in flash util?  Most modern ones do.

I really dunno if it would or not.  How would I find that out? 

Oh, and I think I figured out why I can't seem to boot to Syslinux.   

Here's what lshw-gtk has to say about my BIOS

BIOS
/0/0

vendor: Acer
version: V1.07
size: 128KiB
capacity: 3520KiB
capabilities:
	PCI bus,
	BIOS EEPROM can be upgraded,
	BIOS shadowing,
	Booting from CD-ROM/DVD,
	Selectable boot path,
	Enhanced Disk Drive extensions,
	NEC 9800 floppy,
	Toshiba floppy,
	5.25" 360KB floppy,
	5.25" 1.2MB floppy,
	3.5" 720KB floppy,
	3.5" 2.88MB floppy,
	i8042 keyboard controller,
	INT10 CGA/Mono video,
	ACPI,
	USB legacy emulation,
	BIOS boot specification,
	UEFI specification is supported

Note the last line and the following excerpt from the Wiki's syslinux page. 

Note: Syslinux does not support UEFI as of May 2012. According to upstream, UEFI support will be eventually added to Syslinux, but there is no time-frame as to when it will be functional.

#4 2012-09-20 13:09:08

Pres

What method does Acer provide for updating the BIOS on your laptop? They provided a DOS executable for my netbook, which I ran from a bootable FreeDOS usb stick.

#5 2012-09-20 17:56:59

windscape

Hi,

If you really want to try using flashrom to update your BIOS, you should take a look at the supported motherboard/system list at http://flashrom.org/Supported_hardware# … Fnotebooks before you consider using it. If flashrom doesn't support your laptop, then you should follow Pres's advice and use a bootable FreeDOS USB stick or CD to flash the BIOS. This is assuming that the BIOS itself doesn't contain an update utility.

#6 2012-09-20 19:40:29

lspci

Pres wrote:

What method does Acer provide for updating the BIOS on your laptop? They provided a DOS executable for my netbook, which I ran from a bootable FreeDOS usb stick.

Uhhh... I didn't buy my laptop directly from ACER, I bought it from Microcenter.

I checked on the ACER support/downloads website for my laptop and it just has a bunch of executables... would they run on from DOS?  I could try running them in Virtual Box just to make sure, I guess.

Last edited by lspci (2012-09-20 19:43:48)

#7 2012-09-20 20:46:53

Pres

If I remember correctly, they provide a .zip download which contains a readme and also DOS and Windows executables. Check and see if this is the case with your laptop. There should at least be instructions provided somewhere.

What model is it?

#8 2012-09-20 21:10:22

lspci

Pres wrote:

If I remember correctly, they provide a .zip download which contains a readme and also DOS and Windows executables. Check and see if this is the case with your laptop. There should at least be instructions provided somewhere.

What model is it?

It's an Acer Aspire V3-571

Now, that I think of it I did download and unzip the zip archive that the site provided, but I just assumed that the executable was doze only. 

$ ls BIOS*
BIOS_Acer_1.10_A_A.zip

BIOS_Acer_1.10_Windows:
Q5WV1110.exe  readme.txt

The readme does not help xD

$ cat BIOS_Acer_1.10_Windows/readme.txt 
Windows: Please click "Q5WV1110.exe" to update bios in windows mode.

And the website doesn't seem to give me the option of anything but a windows executable.

Last edited by lspci (2012-09-20 21:22:42)

#9 2012-09-21 02:36:36

Pres

I checked and you are right, they don't seem to provide a DOS method for updating to 1.10 for your laptop. However, the fact that several of the older BIOS versions on their site were larger files caught my interest, so I downloaded one. Looks like they provided DOS files for every version up to 1.09.

Might want to call them and ask why the DOS method was removed for 1.10.

#10 2012-09-21 02:45:00

lspci

Pres wrote:

I checked and you are right, they don't seem to provide a DOS method for updating to 1.10 for your laptop. However, the fact that several of the older BIOS versions on their site were larger files caught my interest, so I downloaded one. Looks like they provided DOS files for every version up to 1.09.

Might want to call them and ask why the DOS method was removed for 1.10.

Good idea, I'll ask 'em what's up.

Lol, so here's what their representative told me during my chat with, I guess her

Govindan Sharanji: Hi, my name is Govindan Sharanji. How may I help you?
lspci lsblk: Hi, I wanted help with doing a BIOS update.  I know that the download/support page for my laptop says that I should only do this when instructed but I'm hoping that the newer BIOS will be nicer than the old ones and that they might somehow magically support Syslinux.  
Govindan Sharanji: I will certainly provide you the required information.
lspci lsblk: I don't use Windows 7, though; so I asked around in the Arch Linux community for advise and one of the guys on there said that yall might have a DOS executable that I could use to do the update with.  
lspci lsblk: oh, okay.  
lspci lsblk: uh.. well, what I've been saying so far is really just background information--leading up to my real question, as it were.  
Govindan Sharanji: I understand that you require the information to download and install the BIOS update.
Govindan Sharanji: Let us check the BIOS version of your notebook.

Govindan Sharanji: Please open System Information by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type System Information, and then, in the list of results, click System Information.
lspci lsblk: I don't use Windows.  
lspci lsblk: I don't have a start button or any of that, I'm afraid.  I use Arch Linux.  
Govindan Sharanji: Okay.
lspci lsblk: I already downloaded the BIOS, I just wanted to know if you knew why yall dropped support for the DOS method of updating the BIOS.  Like, one of the guys of the Arch Linux Forumns said:  
lspci lsblk: "Looks like they provided DOS files for every version up to 1.09.
Might want to call them and ask why the DOS method was removed for 1.10."
Govindan Sharanji: Let me check the database.
lspci lsblk: okay.  
Govindan Sharanji: As per documentation the latest BIOS update can only be installed from windows.
lspci lsblk: hmm, okay.  :/
lspci lsblk: I tried installing Windows, just for the sake of doing the update, but the installation process said that Windows could not be installed to a GPT partition table.
lspci lsblk: (I use GPT instead of the usual Master Boot Record table, I believe.)  
Govindan Sharanji: Since you have installed Arch Linux you need to clean format the hard disk using any third party application.
Govindan Sharanji: After formatting you may use the recovery discs to install windows operating system that was shipped with your computer.
lspci lsblk: o.O Heavens, no.  It'll take me over a week to reinstall it after words and get everything back to normal.  
lspci lsblk: What about version 1.09?
lspci lsblk: did that one come with a DOS executable?
Govindan Sharanji: Let me check.
lspci lsblk: okay
Govindan Sharanji: Yes 1.09   08/20/2012  can be updated in DOS mode.
Govindan Sharanji:  http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.09_A_A.zip?acerid=634810224904845613&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE V3-571&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_7
lspci lsblk: yay, excellent.  
lspci lsblk: okay, thank you very much.
Govindan Sharanji: Please click on the above link to download and install the BIOS update version 1.09   08/20/2012.
lspci lsblk: Oh, wait that reminds me.  Do you know if yall will have the Recovery Disks for my laptop anytime soon?  
Govindan Sharanji: After extracting the BIOS file you will find an readme file with instructions to install the BIOS update in DOS mode.
Govindan Sharanji: The Restore CD costs approximately $19.95 (plus taxes) including shipping and handling on your Credit Card.
lspci lsblk: save your breath, I know how to take care of the DOS thing.  No, I mean do yall have it in yall's Acer Store thing yet?  Last I checked it wasn't available for my product.
lspci lsblk: or for yall's product that I bought, I should say.  
Govindan Sharanji: The Recovery Media is not immediately available.
lspci lsblk: okay..., any idea when it will be?
Govindan Sharanji: Yes it will be available soon.
Govindan Sharanji: You may contact Acer Ecommerce department at 1-800-910-2237, Mon-Fri 8:00am - 5:00pm CST to purchase the recovery disc.
lspci lsblk: my hopes are that I might be able to use the Discs to recover the factory installation of Windows and so by pass all of the problems in terms of updates that I am currently faced with.  
lspci lsblk: well, I was really more interested in a simple yes, and the date, or a no.  But that works too, I guess.  
lspci lsblk: Anyway, that about wraps up my list of questions, so thank you for all the help.  :)
Govindan Sharanji: You also have the option to send the computer for warranty service the reload the factory shipped operating system.
lspci lsblk: hmmm...
lspci lsblk: I might do that... but.... it'd still be a pain in the butt to reinstall Arch Linux and all the software that I've either compiled or installed on here using the package manager
Govindan Sharanji: I appreciate you for spending your valuable time with us in diagnosing the issue.
Govindan Sharanji: If any further information is needed please contact us again and I will be happy to assist you.
lspci lsblk: *sigh* I think that I may just make due with the vesion 1.09 update... oh, and just for the record why did yall drop support for the DOS method for version 1.10?  You really didn't specify exactly why.  
lspci lsblk: you mentioned something about documentation, but what documentation and why?  
Govindan Sharanji: The dos version of this BIOS update was not released since this update was for some windows driver issue.
lspci lsblk: Ooooh
lspci lsblk: so yall didn't just drop it 'cause yall decided to only support Windows from now on?  
Govindan Sharanji: No.
Govindan Sharanji: It has been a privilege assisting a valuable customer like you!
Govindan Sharanji: It was a pleasure assisting you.Thank you for using Acer Live Chat.  
Govindan Sharanji: Have a pleasant night. Goodbye.
lspci lsblk: okay, bye.  
Govindan Sharanji has disconnected.

So as it turns out version 1.10 only comes in Windows-flavor for a reason. 

lspci lsblk: *sigh* I think that I may just make due with the vesion 1.09 update... oh, and just for the record why did yall drop support for the DOS method for version 1.10?  You really didn't specify exactly why.  
lspci lsblk: you mentioned something about documentation, but what documentation and why?  
Govindan Sharanji: The dos version of this BIOS update was not released since this update was for some windows driver issue.
lspci lsblk: Ooooh
lspci lsblk: so yall didn't just drop it 'cause yall decided to only support Windows from now on?  
Govindan Sharanji: No.

Apparently there was a Windows driver issue and the BIOS update was developed in an effort to fix that, which is why there's no DOS version since the update only applies to Windows.

So do I just need to download FreeDOS now and boot up with that or will they include their own custom version of FreeDOS in the zip archive?

Last edited by lspci (2012-09-21 14:16:06)

#11 2012-09-21 19:28:08

Pres

Ha, outsourced tech support like that is always robotic. Looks like she/he has a list of canned responses she can input. At least you know why 1.10 doesn't have a DOS method.

Just download FreeDOS seperately and create a liveUSB from it (using unetbootin makes it easy). Then copy the DOS files over. You can probably find guides on this if you search, but it's really not that difficult of a thing to do. Just take your time and do it correctly. Make sure it's on AC power (and don't do it during a thunderstorm smile).

Board footer