You are not logged in.

#1 2003-10-12 15:17:01

farphel
Forum Fellow
Website

Gnome 2.4 upgrade

I just upgraded from gnome 2.2 to 2.4 and am now missing the games under my Applications->Games menu.  Is there a way to tell gnome to regenerate its menus?

I upgraded with 'pacman -Syuf' to circumvent the 'conflicting files' errors.

Thanks in advance,
farphel

Follow the link below, sign up, and accept one promotional offer.  If I can get five suckers (err... friends) to do this, I'll get a free iPod.  Then you too can try to get a free iPod. Thanks! http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=11363142

#2 2003-10-12 19:26:27

sarah31
Website

Re: Gnome 2.4 upgrade

likely will have to reinstall those games that were in your menu. about the only way to have avoided this is have whatever package has this directory not have this directory but that could be an issue for people that are installing gnome.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2003-10-13 05:18:38

sud_crow
Website

or maybe he could place the file or directory in the pacman.conf file so pacman wont overwrite it?
or this was for pkgs only?

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

#4 2003-10-13 10:56:07

farphel
Forum Fellow
Website

I guess I should have been more clear.

I had been using Gnome 2.2 and under gnome's Applications-Games menu, there was a list of games from the gnome-games package.  After upgrading (including gnome-games) there are no games listed under Applications-Games.  These were not extra games outside of gnome, but were part of the initial gnome install (pacman -S gnome).

I initially upgraded with 'pacman -Sf gnome'.  I also tried 'pacman -Sf gnome-games' and that didn't work either.

I had thought there might be a 'gnome-refresh-menus' type command that I could run and gnome would reconfigure its menus.  Is there such a beast for future reference?

Anyway - this is all moot now.  My gnome setup is totally screwed!  I think I'm just going to do a re-install tonight.

Follow the link below, sign up, and accept one promotional offer.  If I can get five suckers (err... friends) to do this, I'll get a free iPod.  Then you too can try to get a free iPod. Thanks! http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=11363142

#5 2003-10-15 12:04:02

anamesa

I also upgraded gnome 2.2 --> 2.4 and was faced with exactly the same problems as farphel.  The games submenu in startmenu was totally broken, only game "4 in a row" showed up, and this wasn't working.  Then, in addition, the top and bottom panels couldn't be made to appear after autohide was selected (I had to kill the x-server and relogin in gnome, and wait for the instant they showed before hiding and click with the mouse etc, in order to disable panel autohide).

Then I unistalled gnome completeley and reinstalled gnome 2.4 from the beginning, with no more success, as to the above problems.  So I decided to make a fresh install of AL in a different partition, because I was curious. I started with a base install and then made a "pacman -Sy" and "pacman -S pacman" and a "pacman -Su" and then a fresh gnome 2.4 installation. The result was, that no top extended panel showed, only an empty left top panel. I changed it, so it looked like it did before, and when I added the menu & actions, i found out that game menu was broken, exactly like before; and the autohide feature hides the panels permanently.

So it's not a problem with upgrading from gnome 2.2 --> 2.4 but a problem with gnome 2.4 initial installation settings etc.  Reinstalling gnome-games didn't have any effect.  Hope this gets fixed in next gnome 2.4 build.

#6 2003-10-15 12:45:19

farphel
Forum Fellow
Website

Yeah - I went through the same process.  I even tried the it again on a separate system.

The gnome 2.4 stuff is broken and I submitted a bug report for both it and the "empty" gnome-games from 2.4.

My question to the package maintainers would be, "why didn't Gnome 2.4 go into unofficial instead of jumping right into current?".  Perhaps its my Arch-noob status, but I would think that most new software (except security updates) would go into unofficial first and would not go into current until thorough testing had been done.  Maybe there even needs to be a "sign-off" process for packages to make it from unofficial to current?

As it stands right now, any new Arch users will be faced with a broken Gnome environment.  That's giving a pretty bad first impression to new comers that otherwise might really fall in love with Arch.

Apology to all: I feel that I've been doing a lot of bashing lately on the forums and I don't mean to p*ss anyone off.  I'm just offering my thoughts on what I think could use some improvement as a new Arch user.  All-in-all, I love Arch and don't mind the problems considering Arch has only been around for about 2 years.  It's got TONS of potential and I'm willing to stick with it through these growing pains.

Cheers,
farphel

#7 2003-10-15 15:40:33

sarah31
Website

it had been built and tested for several weeks ..the problem is that what may work on our boxes does not always guarantee that it will work on yours. the packages in incoming were available for testing and unfortunately more people did not test them out before the decision was made to upload them to official

another point ... i seem to remember the maintainer asking apeiro to mention something about uninstalling gnome 2.2 first.. i don't know if that still holds true or not. why uninstall and not just install over? because there were some "big" changes in packages and uninstalling the one before tinstalling the other would remover the leftover that may be screwing with your system.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#8 2003-10-18 18:20:57

anamesa

OK, let's be nice here:  after installing the new build for gnome-games and maybe some new builds for other gnome packages [i don't remember now] and of course the extras themes for gnome, everything is back to normal, the games show in menu as they did before and the situation is not only acceptable but rather good.  The panel autohide feature continues to hide panels permanently though  :twisted:

#9 2003-10-18 18:27:50

kritoke
Website

The panel autohide feature continues to hide panels permanently though

I just ran into that the other day, it sucks, hehe.

Kritoke

http://counter.li.org/ Registered Linux User #318963 kritoke@jabber.org

Board footer