You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-04 08:05:54

sven

Problems with xorg (screen graphics are messed up)

After my venture with Firefox fonts and trying to do what was described in Gentoo wiki I have an odd problem now.

When I restart the computer and just start X, it starts fine. But then when I leave X and try to restart it, screen graphics get messed up like you can see on these images:

IMG_2393-s.JPG
IMG_2394-s.JPG

and after restart I can enter X again. But it takes so long to wait through all the servers and services that are starting up.

#2 2005-09-04 09:51:47

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Problems with xorg (screen graphics are messed up)

This seems to be a common problem at the moment - have you upgraded your kernel recently?

#3 2005-09-04 10:21:12

vacant

I hit exactly this a couple of days ago and overcame it - I won't say I solved it. I tried compiling various kernels (stock, ck, mm) and found it made no difference - same corrution when returning to kdm.

However, I tried playing with my kernel config and got something that works with stock and ck (I'm happy using ck so didn't bother trying with mm):

kernel 2.6.13-ck1 ready-patched from linux militia

following modules loaded:
fglrx
via_agp
agpgart

Voluntary Kernel Preemption (Desktop) <- was low latency before but of course this could be a total red herring. I changed a few other bits too but I'm not too sure how relevant they are either. In xorg.conf it works with "UseInternalAGPGART" "yes" or "no".

I got the drivers by running the graphical installer first time, then each time I booted a new kernel to run level 1 and ran
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/make.sh followed by /lib/modules/fglrx/make 

Incidently, when I was having the problem even "startx" subsequent times was corrupt, and I tried unloading the modules.

Anyway, all working fine here. I can post my kernel .config for my duron 1GB if anyone is interested.

#4 2005-09-04 11:59:38

sven

I have been fiddling with different kernels - I wanted to get a kernel that would work with vserver so  the one I've been using now is 2.6.12.4.

I am using fglrx module, too and I have via motherboard. I guess I should try to recompile the driver for this kernel - or just try another driver like radeon or ati.

On my laptop I am using the same kernel version and all the other parts (kde/xorg) are the same - but I am using "ati" for driver ( I have RadeonIGP on it). There is no problem on laptop.

#5 2005-09-04 12:40:28

sven

I tried to recompile the fglrx, but that did not get rid of the problem. Then I used my older xorg.conf and tried ati and radeon drivers without rebooting the computer. The effect was a partly messed up screen:

IMG_2395-s.JPG
IMG_2396-s.JPG
BTW that smallest box above right-click menu is mouse cursor smile

But then I did reboot and I kept using ati or radeon. I tried to close and restart X and hen the problem was gone - so this is fglrx issue. I don't remember anymore how I succeeded in making 3d acceleration to work with one of those drivers - I am now again using that fglrx driver.

#6 2005-09-04 13:20:38

sven

I am wondering if some service could be restarted or some kernel module unloaded and reloaded - this way I could get rid of the need to reboot.

#7 2005-09-04 15:52:45

Gullible Jones

Ummm... Do you have DRI enabled? Because when I was messing around with Savage DRI, I got crap like that.

#8 2005-09-04 16:11:19

sven

yes, DRI is enabled

EDIT: I tested with DRI disabled and then fglrx driver worked fine. But I need DRI because of Solar Winds screensaver smile

Board footer