You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-29 14:03:25

teateawhy
Website

[Solved, bug already assigned] Pacman, optional dependencies

Hello,

after installing or upgrading packages pacman tells you about optional dependencies available.

(3/4) Upgrading geany                                                                                                  
[###########] 100%
New optional dependencies for geany
    python2

In this case python2 was already installed by pacman and archlinux package statistics tell me that is true for 98.81 % of computers running archlinux.
It is better if pacman only shows dependencies, that are not installed yet. That way the output of pacman is more clean, and the users do not have to check the packages on their own.
I hope you can make sense out of my suggestion.

PS: Sometimes it is not so trivial to know by heart wether a package is installed or not, as with python2.

Last edited by teateawhy (2012-09-29 15:30:12)

#2 2012-09-29 14:17:49

karol
Archivist

Re: [Solved, bug already assigned] Pacman, optional dependencies

#3 2012-09-29 14:20:32

WonderWoofy

Maybe you should make a patch?  To me, this makes no difference.  I find it pretty simple to use -Q and tab completion to see if it is installed on my system (that way you don't even have to actuall run pacman, as the query option will only complete packages that are on your system).

But if this is bothersome to you, fix it and submit a patch.

#4 2012-09-29 14:21:43

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

WonderWoofy wrote:

I find it pretty simple to use -Q and tab completion to see if it is installed on my system (that way you don't even have to actuall run pacman, as the query option will only complete packages that are on your system).

How is the tab completion within a pacman command accomplished?

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#5 2012-09-29 14:22:16

karol
Archivist

I think https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/13035 is the non-duplicate task.
It has been around for a while ...

#6 2012-09-29 14:48:08

WonderWoofy

@graysky, use "$ pacman -Q" and then start typing a package you know you have an your computer.  Press <tab> and it will complete it.  If you try with a package that your computer does not have, it will not complete it.  This is in contrast to using the "sync" flag where it will complete anything in the repos you have enabled.  I think you may need bash-completion for this to work.  Personally I have been using zsh for the past couple of months, and it is amazing.  So for that I just got the zsh-completions-git package from AUR and it works wonders.

#7 2012-09-29 15:26:36

teateawhy
Website

I will mark this as solved before this turns into a discussion about tab completion ( i have installed tab-completion btw ).
Allan has already written this functionality, but it has not yet been merged into pacman. Thanks karol for providing the link to the original bug report.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Us … OptDepends
There it is :

Allan wrote:

Other Ideas
A flag/configuration option to install a packages optdepends by default [done]
Add option to tell pacman if you want it to ask you about installing each single optdepend [done]
Add option to tell pacman to list optdepends even when installed and indicate install status of each [done]

Board footer