You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-30 09:51:47

kero

Sound card - PCM has no volume

Hi,

I just installed Arch on my desktop, and have a weird problem. I have an integrated audio controller HDA-Intel (codec CMI9880). It is recognized, but there is a problem. When I boot, in alsamixer I can't change the volume of PCM (which, on this card, is the only one that I can normally change).

But: when I use some software using sound (like vlc, or running a test with speaker-test), the volume starts to work. When I lounch alsamixer, the volume-slider appears.

The modification is well shown by "amixer". After booting, it gives (for the PCM section):

Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback [on]
  Front Right: Playback [on]

Et after I launched "speaker-test"

Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 255
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 159 [62%] [-19.20dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 159 [62%] [-19.20dB] [on]

I'd like to understand why it doesn't work directly. It's not a major problem, but it has some boring consequences: the KDE-applet for the sound (kmix) does not works properly when I boot the system, because it doesn't detect PCM as volume-changeable (and as resulte, I can't change the volume in kmix at all, unless I launch some other soft and relaunch kmix).

Some precisions:
- I have this chip since a lot of time, and it worked like a charm before, under Gentoo. The problem comes since I'm installing Arch on my system.
- the problem is not directly related to any DE/WM system, it appears even before I start X.

Thanks for ideas smile

Board footer