You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-04 17:02:24

Bralkein

KDE Control Centre Sound Module Broken {solved}

I have a problem with the KDE Control Centre. It mostly works fine, but if I click on the Sound System section under the Sound & Multimedia category, then the Control Centre hangs. If I try and run it under konqueror using the settings:/ ioslave, then it tries to open it in a new window, as it usually does for those configuration dialogues, but the window title just sits there in the taskbar for a couple of minutes before disappearing, presumably because it fails to start up somehow.

The strangest thing about this problem is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with my sound at all, apart from this one thing. I have recently got a new Audigy 2 ZS sound card, because my on-board sound was crappy, but the change of sound card did not fix the problem. The problem has also continued along several new installations of KDE from pacman (I don't know if they were different versions of KDE, maybe just newer versions of the Arch package), and has continued also through several changes of kernel (I am currently using 2.6.13).

If anybody knows anything about this problem whatsoever, I would be very interested in any relevant information. If not, then I would be grateful if someone could tell me how I might get more information with which to diagnose the problem e.g. starting the Sound System configuration dialogue from the command line to see if it displays any relevant output there etc.

Thanks in advance.

#2 2005-09-05 13:17:32

tmaynard

Re: KDE Control Centre Sound Module Broken {solved}

You could try to create a new user and then log into KDE with that user and see if you can access the sound server with that user (not as root).  If that user is successful then it is a problem with your user's config files.  If that fails then the problem lies someplace else.

Good Luck

#3 2005-09-05 15:55:40

Bralkein

Re: KDE Control Centre Sound Module Broken {solved}

Thanks a lot! I managed to figure out it was probably ~/.kde/share/config/kcmmidirc that was causing the problem, so I deleted it and now everything works fine. Thanks again!

Board footer