You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-04 06:45:43

MFserver
Website

Mysterious xorg freeze-up (xmonad)

So, I have a problem. I'm running Arch x86_64 on a laptop, xmonad as my window manager, booting with initscripts, and starting X by calling startx from .bash_profile like this:

#
# ~/.bash_profile
#

[[ -f ~/.bashrc ]] && . ~/.bashrc
exec nohup startx > .log/xlog &
exec vlock

And my problem is, that sometimes Xorg crashes. My notifications freeze, Conky and xmobar clock stop, the whole desktop freeze and becomes uninteractive. The mouse pointer is movable, though. There is no notable peak in hard drive access. I am able to switch to another virtual terminal and log in, or switch to tty1 and log out the current user. It seems to occur more often when the system is freshly booted, just after I have logged in, the desktop is loaded and nm-applet's notifications show up, but it may also occur on a system that has been running for hours.

I have no idea what may cause this, I have checked dmesg | tail, the output of the X server (logged to ~/.log/xlog), /var/log/errors.log and /var/log/everything.log, and noticed no unusual behaviour, at least nothing I can tell. Does anyone else get similiar crashes, or know what may be causing them?

Sometimes, when I'm trying to get any audio software or hardware working with my system, I wonder why I ditched Windows. But every time I work at a windows computer, I remember it again.

#2 2012-10-04 07:12:49

moetunes

Re: Mysterious xorg freeze-up (xmonad)

Why do you have lines in .bash_profile starting with exec?

[ `tty` = "/dev/tty1" ] && startx
is the generally accepted method for what you want afaik

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#3 2012-10-04 08:20:28

MFserver
Website

According to This wiki article, it seems like "exec" just logs the user out when X is killed. I followed a wiki page on Arch Wiki to obtain this config, I think it was more or less copy-paste. This has not changed for the past 8 months (at least), so I think it is unlikely to cause this newly occurred problem.

I uninstalled notify-osd-customizable and notifyconf, and installed notify-osd instead when I got two crashes in a row upon login, and so far so good. Maybe it is a problem with notify-osd-customizable, but I don't know if I can confirm this.

Sometimes, when I'm trying to get any audio software or hardware working with my system, I wonder why I ditched Windows. But every time I work at a windows computer, I remember it again.

#4 2012-10-04 20:51:43

moetunes

Oh ok. I've never seen exec in .bash_profile before so I had to ask. Cheers for the link.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#5 2012-10-05 09:25:49

MFserver
Website

I think I can confirm that it is notify-osd who's causing the crash. I uninstalled notify-osd-customize, and the crashes stopped. I installed notify-osd from AUR, and got two crashes in a row upon next reboot. So, I'm ditching notify-osd until this is fixed. I'll run the machine for a couple of reboots before marking as solved, just to make sure smile

Board footer