You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-05 11:13:16

Sathors

[SOLVED] Glibc broke pacman after 2 months without update

Hello all !

So I did an update of the system after two months.

To begin with I couldn't update because of the issue with the /lib.
Pacman was complaining that /lib was existing in the filesystem.

I used the command provided by the wiki and by some posts to update :

pacman -Syu --ignore glibc,curl

Everything went fine and 422 packages were upgraded.

But then when I tried to use pacman, I had the following error :

pacman: /lib/libc.so.6: version 'GLIBC_2.16' not found (required by /lib/libarchive.so.12)

I tried to follow several posts, and that's what I did :
- downgrade pacman (extracting the tar.xz directly in the /)
- downgrade curl (extracting the tar.xz directly in the /)
- upgrade pacman to 2.16 (downloading it on the web and extracting it directly in the /)

I still have the same problem with version 'GLIBC_2.16' not found.
When I tried to upgrade pacman to 2.16, no files were put in /lib, they were put instead to /usr/lib, so I don't see how it could have solved the problem.

Thank you for your help, I'm desperate now ! (by the way, I use yaourt)

Last edited by Sathors (2012-10-05 13:06:16)

#2 2012-10-05 11:23:12

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Glibc broke pacman after 2 months without update

There are a number of solutions to this, many of them posted in similar topics in this very subforum. Some are even on the first page!

Please search for solutions before asking.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2012-10-05 11:45:29

Sathors

Hum actually I searched already on some posts, and I always end up making things worse.

That's why I was turning to you.

But thanks anyway I will do it on my own.

#4 2012-10-05 12:21:37

Sathors

So I tried, and I broke it a little bit more, and now I have no idea whatsoever how to get anything back.

I followed this thread : https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=149664, I installed glibc 2.16.0-1 by extracting the tarball, and I could use pacman fine.

I tried then to install glibc by using pacman as suggested in the post, and it was complaining about files already existing. I then used the flag --force (following a suggestion from another post).

It didn't work either.

And now moreover no commands are found anymore.

So if I'm trying to use pacman, it complains about

failed to run command /usr/bin/pacman: no such file or directory

And now I cannot even chroot into the system, because when I try to issue

chroot /mnt/arch /bin/bash

it gives the error

failed to run command "square"/bin/bash"square": no such file or directory

The "square" are a square character.

Thank you for your help, because if I cannot chroot, I don't see how I could do anything on my own anymore.

#5 2012-10-05 12:35:17

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Sathors wrote:

I tried then to install glibc by using pacman as suggested in the post, and it was complaining about files already existing. I then used the flag --force (following a suggestion from another post).

Which post? You've been told never to use --force during this update: https://www.archlinux.org/news/the-lib- … a-symlink/

It seems to me that you're only interested in a quick fix, and aren't interested in understanding what the problem is. Coupled with the fact that you haven't updated in two months, I'm going to tentatively suggest that Arch isn't the distro for you.

This may help you recover from your --forceing: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 4#p1130134

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#6 2012-10-05 13:05:29

Sathors

WorMzy wrote:

Which post? You've been told never to use --force during this update: https://www.archlinux.org/news/the-lib- … a-symlink/

The message error was different from the one about this update : https://www.archlinux.org/news/the-lib- … a-symlink/
It was that I installed glibc by extracting the tarball, and I was trying to reinstall it cleanly using pacman. It was complaining about the files of glibc already installed.

That's why I used the flag --force, only to overwrite glibc install.

WorMzy wrote:

It seems to me that you're only interested in a quick fix, and aren't interested in understanding what the problem is. Coupled with the fact that you haven't updated in two months, I'm going to tentatively suggest that Arch isn't the distro for you.

Actually I am quite interested in understanding what the problem is, but even following the different posts I don't clearly get it, because I can find solutions, but not many explanations.

As for the fact that I didn't do an update in two months, it was because I had a master thesis to write, and I couldn't afford even one day of messing around with my system. So I guess I had my reasons for doing so.

I finally found the solution to be able to chroot back into my system, I simply had to delete /lib, and to symlink /usr/lib to /lib.

Now everything seems to work fine.

I am sorry if my previous posts were not clear enough, as I'm chrooting into a live usb on my desktop and using my laptop at the same time, it was hard for me to keep track of all the topics I followed.

Thank you for your help, now I'll try and solve my booting problems !

Board footer