You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-06 04:34:20

steveo_73

X Environment Not Working

HI - first post and first time Arch and Linux user.

Everything so far has gone really well.

1. Installation went perfectly.
2. Setting up Fluxbox and tint2 as my desktop environment went fine.
3. Added a couple of required apps including MySQL, web browsers, torrents etc and there were no issues.
4. All of the above is via my username not root. I am using sudo to issue commands.

At this point though there are some errors primarily around creating users or better put creating a desktop environment for the additional users. I create the users no problems however X doesn't run for those users. I tried gnome and kde and both environments work fine on my user but not on the additional users. The computer just locks up.

I have checked the logs and can't see anything different to when I log on and it works fine.

Any ideas ???

#2 2012-10-06 04:37:58

headkase

Re: X Environment Not Working

Are you adding the correct groups for your new users?  At the least I'm sure they will need the "video" group.

See here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … ive_method

For the minimum groups you should give to a new user.

Edit: I shouldn't have said "minimum" groups, instead to access some functionality a user sometimes needs to be part of a specific group.  Depending on what you want the user to do it needs to be in the appropriate groups.  The given groups are good for a "normal day-to-day user."

Last edited by headkase (2012-10-06 04:43:24)

#3 2012-10-06 05:21:52

steveo_73

I just enabled access via adding the users to the sudo group. It doesn't make sense but it works. I can restrict access via only allowing sudo commands to be executed via the root password.

I will also try adding all the additional groups to see if that helps.

#4 2012-10-06 05:30:14

headkase

Oh boy.

Before you break your installation irrecoverably, you may also want to check both the KDE and GNOME wiki pages to see if there are any special setup instruction like copying skeleton files to the new users folder when you create them.

When you reinstall then you'll know what to do right away.

Also sudo should be restricted to users in the "wheel" group.  Do not give that group to just any user, only administrators.  Also, when editing the sudoers file always make sure to use the visudo command, with an appropriate editor like nano, as making a mistake while editing that file can completely lock you out of your own system.

The correct line to edit the sudoers file is:

# EDITOR=/usr/bin/nano visudo

The "# " means you execute that as root, don't include that: start typing, as root, with "EDITOR=..."

Control+O saves the file in nano and Control+X exits nano.

Last edited by headkase (2012-10-06 05:38:07)

#5 2012-10-06 07:19:54

steveo_73

I'm using the correct line to edit the sudoers file. I don't use nano because I've worked with UNIX at work and vi seems easier to me.

In saying that it isn't working again and I am really struggling. My non-root user profile works. My families profiles worked once but know they don't. To add to that fluxbox works fine on their profiles.

Based on this I assume as you suggested it must be gnome specific (or KDE specific) configuration items. I'll check the wiki and see if I have missed something.

#6 2012-10-06 12:16:32

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Did you try to copy over any configuration files from one user to another?  If you did you may need to fix ownership and permissions or config/rc files.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer