You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-07 18:25:08

3mpach3r

Nvidia drivers causing desktop crash

In general this seems to be a common problem that I've been having for a while though I can't seem to find a solution to this case.

Every few hours of use, the desktop will freeze randomly.  It starts by acting sluggish for about 2-3 seconds (sort of forkbomb-ish) then freezes solid.  It only seems to happen with chromium open so I leave open the possibility that it's connected with flash and the issues people have had in the past with it.

Things I've done:
Disabled flash hw acceleration
Checked /var/log/errors.log for any signs of the NVRM error according to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nv … sing_flash
Full system upgrade (-Syyu)
Kicked the tower a few times

System:
Arch 64
GeForce 9600 GSO
Intel i5

EDIT:
I've noticed that flash doesn't have to even be loaded on a page for it to crash.  Spotify (which I believe may use flash) was also running with chrome open to this page and opening another empty tab caused a crash.

Last edited by 3mpach3r (2012-10-07 23:49:24)

#2 2012-10-15 23:42:37

3mpach3r

Re: Nvidia drivers causing desktop crash

Can anyone offer some tips to try to get this sorted?  Are there any logs that I can dig around in that might document exactly what is crashing?

I'm thinking a hardware issue at this point as its been a consistent issue across several installs over around 2 years and there are similar crashes in my windows partition (system magically restarts in or fails to wake up after the screen turns off).

Board footer