You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-06 05:04:10

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Xen on archlinux.

I just got Xen running under Archlinux.
An Archlinux Xen VM inside an Archlinux Host, to be exact.

I will post a wiki howto in the next few days, or at least start one, on how I went about getting it installed and running...for those of you that may be interested.

I am currently thinking about using the xenU (client) instance to run an externally facing webserver, while the xen0 (host) instance services internal only connections (dns and backup storage).

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#2 2005-09-06 09:31:29

soniX

Re: Xen on archlinux.

congrats.
looking forward to the wiki!

#3 2005-09-06 10:07:03

kth5
Website

cactus wrote:

I am currently thinking about using the xenU (client) instance to run an externally facing webserver, while the xen0 (host) instance services internal only connections (dns and backup storage).

you can solve this quite simple using iptables if you're only running a single virtual instance with the apache webserver on port 80 for example. everything else would require some kind of reverse proxy with DNS based redirection. it would be interesting to have this mentioned in the tutorial itself or even explained how it works.  big_smile

I recognize that while theory and practice are, in theory, the same, they are, in practice, different. -Mark Mitchell

#4 2005-09-06 15:11:42

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

actually, xen handles this with iproute2. To external interfaces, it appears that the machine has just bound multiple ip addresses. To the machine itself, it appears that each vm has its own ip, and is in effect, a seperate machine from the point of view of the xen0 instance.
I am not sure if connections from xen0 to one of the xenU instances actually travels through the external interface portion of the kernel or not. Quite possibly not, as the xen kernel is customized.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2005-09-07 01:09:33

syamajala
Website

i'll be looking forward to trying xen on arch64 for testing!

#6 2005-09-07 03:30:59

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xen_Install

There we have it..initial rev.
Thought I would tie up this loose forum thread.. wink

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#7 2005-09-07 04:25:45

grail

Thanks for that. I was considering using Xen for a honeypot project I'm about to embark on. This wiki will help things along big_smile

Board footer