You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-06 21:12:52

ralvy
Member
From: Santa Monica, California
Registered: 2004-12-06
Posts: 275

Abiword won't print

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get Abiword 2.2.9 to print under either Arch or Slackware, however it works fine under Libranet (Debian) and Gentoo. All four distros are on the same computer, so the hardware is identical. I can say that when I attempt to print under either Libranet or Gentoo, I see a nice dialogue box that lets me choose which printer I want to print to, however under Arch or Slackware I only see the simple Abiword dialogue that presents me with the default lpr command, letting me change it if I want. No obvious command works there. I have tried "lpr -P printername" combinations to no avail.

Offline

#2 2005-09-06 21:39:22

JGC
Developer
Registered: 2003-12-03
Posts: 1,660

Re: Abiword won't print

Heh, that's the problem with most of our users, they don't want G-stuff on their system. The nice dialogue you were seeing on debian comes from libgnomeprintui. Future versions of Abiword will get compiled against these libs, as there's no option to do without it in the future.

Too bad people rather not have gnome libraries on their system than working printing support.

Offline

#3 2005-09-06 22:31:20

ralvy
Member
From: Santa Monica, California
Registered: 2004-12-06
Posts: 275

Re: Abiword won't print

JGC wrote:

Heh, that's the problem with most of our users, they don't want G-stuff on their system. The nice dialogue you were seeing on debian comes from libgnomeprintui. Future versions of Abiword will get compiled against these libs, as there's no option to do without it in the future.

Too bad people rather not have gnome libraries on their system than working printing support.

Hmmm...I just installed all of gnome with

pacman -S gnome

and I still can't print with Abiword and still don't see that print gui, even if I load gnome itself. I checked to make sure libgnomeprintui is installed, and it is.

Offline

#4 2005-09-06 23:05:46

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow
From: Montreal, Canada
Registered: 2004-08-20
Posts: 5,212

Re: Abiword won't print

You probably need to recompile abiword with the correct configure option so it uses libgnomeprintui.

Offline

#5 2005-09-06 23:29:53

ozar
Member
From: USA
Registered: 2005-02-18
Posts: 1,681

Re: Abiword won't print

JGC wrote:

Future versions of Abiword will get compiled against these libs, as there's no option to do without it in the future.

Ouch... hopefully there's some good alternative available to take it's place.  I'm one of those "no G-stuff on my box" guys you mentioned.  At any rate, I'm keeping a copy of Abiword 2.2.9 on hand just in case.    wink


oz

Offline

#6 2005-09-07 03:44:52

ralvy
Member
From: Santa Monica, California
Registered: 2004-12-06
Posts: 275

Re: Abiword won't print

Snowman wrote:

You probably need to recompile abiword with the correct configure option so it uses libgnomeprintui.

Bingo. That was it. Thanks! Just add

--enable-gnome

to the configure stuff in the PKBUILD (both abi and plugins sections) and make the package and install.

Offline

#7 2005-09-07 05:10:49

JGC
Developer
Registered: 2003-12-03
Posts: 1,660

Re: Abiword won't print

ozar wrote:
JGC wrote:

Future versions of Abiword will get compiled against these libs, as there's no option to do without it in the future.

Ouch... hopefully there's some good alternative available to take it's place.  I'm one of those "no G-stuff on my box" guys you mentioned.  At any rate, I'm keeping a copy of Abiword 2.2.9 on hand just in case.    wink

libgnomecanvas, libgnomeprint, libgnomeprintui, gnome-icon-theme, hicolor-icon-theme... Are those few libs too much? I'd rather have working printer support than getting rid of those libs on my system. The abiword developers think the same about it.

Offline

#8 2005-09-07 10:17:41

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow
From: Wilmington, NC
Registered: 2005-01-29
Posts: 2,734

Re: Abiword won't print

I've got 60 g's on this partition, so bring it on!

Offline

#9 2005-09-07 17:40:54

ozar
Member
From: USA
Registered: 2005-02-18
Posts: 1,681

Re: Abiword won't print

JGC wrote:

libgnomecanvas, libgnomeprint, libgnomeprintui, gnome-icon-theme, hicolor-icon-theme... Are those few libs too much?

Yeah, but I'm going to predict here and now that as Abiword becomes more Gnome-ish, there will be additional Gnome libs/files required.  Having already been the Gnome and KDE route, I'm trying to stay as clear of them as possible.

Surely printing under Linux will remain possible without Gnome and/or KDE... or at least I certainly hope so.


oz

Offline

#10 2005-09-07 22:22:56

JGC
Developer
Registered: 2003-12-03
Posts: 1,660

Re: Abiword won't print

Many features from the gnome platform will move into the next major version of GTK anyways. More information is available at project ridley:

http://live.gnome.org/ProjectRidley

GTK is just a toolkit, based on a powerful C object language (glib). Compared to QT, GTK and GLIB together aren't that powerful. The GNOME platform makes a good addition to it, but not every part is integrated good enough for use outside of GNOME.

Offline

#11 2005-09-07 23:07:18

ralvy
Member
From: Santa Monica, California
Registered: 2004-12-06
Posts: 275

Re: Abiword won't print

JGC wrote:

Many features from the gnome platform will move into the next major version of GTK anyways. More information is available at project ridley:

http://live.gnome.org/ProjectRidley

Reading over that list, it seems more than enough to accomodate Abiword without having to install additional gnome libes.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB