You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-12 00:46:09

ushahin

Persistent USB Arch installation fails to boot after first shut down

Hey all,

I've recently installed Arch on a 32-GB USB flash drive (with the help of the wiki, of course).  I have some experience installing arch on my computers, so the process went relatively smoothly.  As some background info, I AM using UUIDs in both the bootloader and the fstab file, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Anyways, the problem itself: I have arch installed and ready to go, and it boots up fine (the first time).  The thing is, after I shut down, if I try to boot the USB drive again, it simply hangs there-- no boot.  What's weirder is not only does it not boot, but it also freezes the host computer at that point in the boot cycle.  I mean, everything will be frozen up at the startup BIOS/splash whatever screen when the USB key is in, but once I take it out the computer will boot up regularly.  It's really strange.

If I reinstall the bootloader on the USB drive then everything works again (that is, until I reboot).

Is the bootloader somehow getting corrupted while shutting down?  I have tried using both GRUB and SYSLINUX (not at the same time of course) but they both behave the same.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
Ushahin

#2 2012-10-12 07:06:37

DSpider

Re: Persistent USB Arch installation fails to boot after first shut down

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … nvironment

Here you need to set the right hooks if the root is on a USB drive, if you use RAID, LVM, or if /usr is on a separate partition.

Did you remember to do this?

If not, mount the partition(s) starting with the root partition first, chroot into it, edit that file and re-generate the initramfs. Then reboot with the reboot command, don't forcefully shut it down using the power button or something like that.

It could also be a BIOS issue. Restore its defaults, set "Removable Dev." first, "CD-ROM" second (if you have an optical drive), "Internal Storage" third. Then select the USB stick as the first to boot in the boot priority screen.

Last edited by DSpider (2012-10-12 07:07:30)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

Board footer