You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-13 17:23:09

bwat47

[gnome-unstable] No logout entry in user menu

I've just upgraded my system to [testing] and [gnome-unstable] Most everything works fine, except there seems to be no way to logout. No logout entry in user menu or by hitting ctrl alt del. Fast user switch on the lock screen does work, as does rebooting via the user menu. Does anyone else have this issue?

EDIT: Suspend also missing and suspend no longer works on lid close (even though its set to that in settings) systemctl suspend works, just not working with gnome/upower.

Last edited by bwat47 (2012-10-13 17:39:23)

#2 2012-10-16 04:43:02

ScionicSpectre

Re: [gnome-unstable] No logout entry in user menu

The previous behavior where holding Alt shows Power-Off instead of Suspend has been reversed- just hold Alt to show the Suspend option instead. It was decided that most people would suspend by merely closing their laptop lid, since GNOME is optimized for laptops at the moment.

Also, if you only have one user account, there will be no logout/switch user type entry in the user menu, as it is assumed you wouldn't be logging back in as anyone else (if you're switching DEs of course, this is quite inconvenient). You could always kill X, but that's hardly a solution- there's probably a shortcut for it aside from Ctrl+Alt+Del. But these aren't bugs, just design decisions. Of course, if you have multiple non-root users, you should still be able to log out or switch users.

#3 2012-10-19 10:27:40

rAX

I use

sudo loginctl terminate-session 2 

at the moment.

(list-sessions to get the correct ID if 2 isn't working). Also, not sure if this works as 'logout' or not.

#4 2012-10-19 16:54:44

Ralgo

My problem is the opposite. I have a single user on my system but still shows me the "log out" entry. I'd like to get off this entry.

#5 2012-10-19 16:58:29

rAX

I'd take if you don't want it. big_smile

#6 2012-11-06 07:46:22

Heinrichmeyer

[workaround] logout menu entry emerges if you have more than one desktop environment or more concret if you have more than one .desktop file in /usr/share/xsessions/. If you don't realy want another DE, simply copy /usr/share/xsessions/gnome.desktop to /usr/share/xsession/gnome2.desktop.

This is no more a [testing] thread.

ScionicSpectre wrote:

The previous behavior where holding Alt shows Power-Off instead of Suspend has been reversed- just hold Alt to show the Suspend option instead. It was decided that most people would suspend by merely closing their laptop lid, since GNOME is optimized for laptops at the moment.

Also, if you only have one user account, there will be no logout/switch user type entry in the user menu, as it is assumed you wouldn't be logging back in as anyone else (if you're switching DEs of course, this is quite inconvenient). You could always kill X, but that's hardly a solution- there's probably a shortcut for it aside from Ctrl+Alt+Del. But these aren't bugs, just design decisions. Of course, if you have multiple non-root users, you should still be able to log out or switch users.

Last edited by Heinrichmeyer (2012-11-08 08:33:37)

Board footer