You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-18 13:56:08

karol
Archivist

Please consider providing files.tar.gz for your unofficial user repo

Some Unofficial User Repositories don't provide <repo_name>.files.tar.gz for pkgfile to use.
It's not a huge deal if foobar binary is provided by foobar package - I can simply search for 'foobar' packagename with pacman - but sometimes I would have to resort to posting on the forums e.g. when the package in question is called foo-scripts.

I know it means more work for repo maintainers and few people may benefit from it, but I would appreciate it, even if I'm not using this feature very often.
Thanks to all users who maintain their unofficial repositories. It's very handy to be able to just grab a binary with pacman :-)

#2 2012-10-18 16:12:07

dolby

Re: Please consider providing files.tar.gz for your unofficial user repo

Thats a good idea. I am confident that repo-add -f in git creates the file by default and you dont have to link to it manually, right?

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#3 2012-10-18 16:29:49

karol
Archivist

I don't have a repo, I've never used it, I see it's an option, like creating deltas: https://www.archlinux.org/pacman/repo-add.8.html

#4 2012-10-18 16:42:59

dolby

I use it for my local repos and it doesnt in pacman 4.0.3. Files data are stored in $repo.db.tar.gz and you have to manually ln $repo.db.tar.gz to $repo.files

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#5 2012-10-18 16:57:16

karol
Archivist

dolby wrote:

I use it for my local repos and it doesnt in pacman 4.0.3. Files data are stored in $repo.db.tar.gz and you have to manually ln $repo.db.tar.gz to $repo.files

Are you sure about the symlink? According to e.g. http://xyne.archlinux.ca/repos/xyne-any/ $repo.db. and $repo.files have different sizes.

#6 2012-10-18 17:09:18

dolby

I dont know if theres another way but my way works. Also see https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=146653
repo-add -f only accepts db files and tar.*z's as arguments AFAICT. I looked at the source to see how it behaves before i started using it but not thoroughly.

edit: i must be wrong cause official repos have different entries as well. http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/archlinux/testing/os/i686/
edit2: my way seems to be saving valuable space. smile

Last edited by dolby (2012-10-18 17:15:32)

#7 2012-10-18 17:36:44

karol
Archivist

We may have found the reason not everyone is providing $repo.files db - it's not obvious how to create it ;P

man repo-add wrote:

A package database is a tar file, optionally compressed. Valid extensions are “.db” or “.files” followed by an archive extension of “.tar”, “.tar.gz”, “.tar.bz2”, “.tar.xz”, or “.tar.Z”. The file does not need to exist, but all parent directories must exist.

'repo-add':

-> Computing checksums...
  -> Creating 'desc' db entry...
  -> Creating 'depends' db entry...

'repo-add -f':

-> Computing checksums...
  -> Creating 'desc' db entry...
  -> Creating 'depends' db entry...
  -> Creating 'files' db entry...

The extra step takes time and space (bigger db).

Last edited by karol (2012-10-18 17:37:19)

#8 2012-10-18 17:49:30

karol
Archivist

Seems the answer is to create two dbs: one with 'repo-add' and the other with 'repo-add f' or to symlink them.

#9 2012-10-21 04:15:36

dolby

Symlinking it though means you lose speed in pacman cause it has to parse a much larger db file for no reason, so like you say above you have to invoke repo-add twice.
One without options for creating the db file read by pacman and one with -f in order to create the files file pkgfile needs.

#10 2012-10-21 05:05:10

Allan
Pacman
Website

Th way to do this is...

repo-add foo.db.tar.xz .... -  to make the repo db used by pacman

repo-add -f foo.files.tar.xz ...  -  to make a separate db with the files in it.

This makes a smaller db which is used by pacman (and so all users of the repo...) and a larger one that is used by (e.g.) pkgfile.

#11 2012-10-21 06:21:50

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

If anyone is interested, I wrote a script a while ago to facilitate public repo management. It's basically a rewrap of different scripts that I use to manage my own repos. It will generate a fully signed repo (packages and databases, including the "files" database by default). You can read more about it and download it here.

There's probably room for improvement. If it proves popular then I may package it. Until then, use xacget to keep your local copy up-to-date.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#12 2012-12-03 20:18:07

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Allan wrote:

repo-add foo.db.tar.xz .... -  to make the repo db used by pacman

repo-add -f foo.files.tar.xz ...  -  to make a separate db with the files in it.

This makes a smaller db which is used by pacman (and so all users of the repo...) and a larger one that is used by (e.g.) pkgfile.

Thanks Allan.  Good advice as always.

EDIT: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/32953

Last edited by graysky (2012-12-03 20:49:15)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

Board footer