You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-19 04:52:06

thorion

[SOLVED] Terminal emulator that allows free resizing?

EDIT: Answered my own question; terminator allows per-pixel resizing if you disable window hinting in the preferences.

I have an annoyance with resizing terminal emulators. I use stacking WMs (xfwm4 on one setup, compiz standalone on another) but I usually like to tile my windows manually. I've enabled edge snapping in both of these WMs. However, whenever I'm resizing a terminal window, the snapping doesn't work because the terminal window can't be freely resized - I can only change the size of the window by one character's height/width. For example, if a terminal is open at 80x36, and I want to make it just a little bit wider to snap against the edge of another window, I can't because it won't let me resize the window between 80 and 81 characters.

I've tried xfce's terminal, gnome-terminal, lxterminal, xterm, urxvt, and st. Can someone direct me to a terminal emulator that will let me resize windows to whatever size I want, regardless of whether it is a discrete character size, or am I out of luck?

P.S. I've noticed that if I resize a window with wmctrl and issue the resize command twice, then xfce's terminal behaves the way it should. Can I replicate this behavior for resizing with the mouse?

Last edited by thorion (2012-10-19 05:14:41)

Board footer