You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-19 11:07:52

cosmos

space allocation in virtualbox. Allocated too less.

I am installing archlinux on virtualbox. After wading through all issues and installing uptil gnome, I suddenly find that my virtualbox space is over. Though it shows that it(Vbox) utilizes 1GB of the total allocated 8 GB.

when ran
#pacman -Syu gnome
:
:
:
error: Partition / too full: 217000 blocks needed, 203457 blocks free
error: not enough free disk space
error: failed to commit transaction (not enough free disk space)
Errors occured, no packages were upgraded.

#lsblk                      %gives the following:
sdb        8G
sdb1    1.9G      part /
sdb2    972.7M  part
sdb3    5.2G      part /home

I added a new 2TB virtual disk to the VM. Is there any way I could repartition such that I need not do the whole exercise again?

#2 2012-10-19 11:50:27

cosmos

Re: space allocation in virtualbox. Allocated too less.

I have installed 'parted' and wish to resize it. Any comments? Which partition should I increase the size of?

#3 2012-10-19 12:24:48

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

cosmos wrote:

I have installed 'parted' and wish to resize it. Any comments? Which partition should I increase the size of?

...was that a serious question?

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#4 2012-10-19 12:46:52

cosmos

I did not know about parted. Which I came to know later. I am a new user. So such things are serious for me. It wud have been better if you had just answered instead of writing that comment. I get a feeling that these forums are infested with egomanics from what I read till now. Many a times the admin instead of answering the questions points the member to forum etiquettes. Buffoons!!

#5 2012-10-19 12:55:58

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Reexamine your original error, which partition did it say was too full? Now, which partition do you think would be a good candidate for an increase of size? (Hint: it's not the swap or home partitions)

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#6 2012-10-19 15:01:18

ewaller
Administrator

cosmos wrote:

I did not know about parted. Which I came to know later. I am a new user. So such things are serious for me. It wud have been better if you had just answered instead of writing that comment. I get a feeling that these forums are infested with egomanics from what I read till now. Many a times the admin instead of answering the questions points the member to forum etiquettes. Buffoons!!

Well, then.  At the risk of you thinking me a buffoon, allow me to point you at the forum etiquette as you have either not read it, or have actively chosen to ignore it.  Take special note of the following paragraphs:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ther_Users
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … troduction
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … _The_Staff
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ow_to_Post

You might also read the link in my signature.

Now, as to your problem.  Does the 2T virtual drive show up as a disk in your Arch installation?  Like /dev/sdb ?
If so, you can partition it and those partitions to your file system.  What I would suggest it to create a new partition that will become your new /.  Then use rsync to copy the contents of / to the new partition.   Once that is done, change your bootloader configuration and /etc/fstab to use the new partition for / in lieu of the original partion for / on /dev/sda.   

Heck, you might just create new /home and rsync your home data over as well.  Install a boot loader on the new drive, boot from it, and get ris of the old virtual drive.

Finally:  Merriam Webster defines buffoon as such:

Definition of BUFFOON

: a ludicrous figure : clown
: a gross and usually ill-educated or stupid person

Which of those do you assert apply to yours truly (a moderator)?  Care to provide an example? or an apology?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2012-10-22 14:47:57

cosmos

Thanks for patiently replying. Many of the issues I was facing, other guys were facing too, some of which instead of being answered to were refered to forum etiquettes which in my opinion is rude. With no offense, its a way of bullying someone rather than helping.  After somehow getting through all issues when Vbox crapped out I got really frustrated. So my apologies. And thanks again for replying.

Btw I immediatley reinstalled archlinux and got it working in 1 hour. But next day the VM fails to open. I think I need a break sad . Now will try what you said or maybe spend another hour getting another installation going :-P.Atleast I learn something new everytime! big_smile

Board footer