You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-21 23:15:08

Hurricane

[SOLVED]Changing an individual application's icon

I just installed a great icon theme that goes along with my windows and my gtk theme, but I have one icon that sticks out like a sore thumb (code::blocks). The more I look at it the more annoying it gets. I tried to work around it by creating a new launcher with a custom icon, but when the launcher was created it kept the same icon.

Last edited by Hurricane (2012-10-22 03:18:20)

Computers are extra dumb, which is why it takes extra smart people to make them work.

#2 2012-10-21 23:24:28

WonderWoofy

Re: [SOLVED]Changing an individual application's icon

I assume you would have to swap the icon out in the icon set itself.  Use pacman to see where that icon set is installed and put what you like in its place.

#3 2012-10-21 23:32:26

Hurricane

WonderWoofy wrote:

I assume you would have to swap the icon out in the icon set itself.  Use pacman to see where that icon set is installed and put what you like in its place.

The icon set has no icon for Code Blocks. Code Blocks is the only icon that didn't change. The icon is just set to the default Code Blocks icon.

Computers are extra dumb, which is why it takes extra smart people to make them work.

#4 2012-10-21 23:35:35

WonderWoofy

Sooooo.... add a code blocks icon to the icon set you want.... I am no icon expert, but I seems _blatantly_obvious_ to me that if there is an icon in the icon set that you are using, it will not fall back to the other.

#5 2012-10-21 23:36:57

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I assume the launcher is associated with a .desktop file.  Did you list your custom icon in the .desktop file?

You could also try out xseticon - but this would have to be used every time you relaunch codeblocks.  This could be done from within a script or .desktop file (eg "Exec=/path/to/codeblocks && xseticon <parameters-needed-here>").

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2012-10-22 00:43:07

Hurricane

WonderWoofy wrote:

Sooooo.... add a code blocks icon to the icon set you want.... I am no icon expert, but I seems _blatantly_obvious_ to me that if there is an icon in the icon set that you are using, it will not fall back to the other.

I did, it isn't working.

Trilby wrote:

I assume the launcher is associated with a .desktop file.  Did you list your custom icon in the .desktop file?

It's not a desktop icon. I should have specified that it's in the top bar (I use MATE).

#7 2012-10-22 00:50:28

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Most icon launchers, whether on the desktop or in a bar use .desktop files.  But if it doesn't, where does it get icon information from?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#8 2012-10-22 01:32:48

Hurricane

Trilby wrote:

Most icon launchers, whether on the desktop or in a bar use .desktop files.  But if it doesn't, where does it get icon information from?

I didn't know that. This may sound like a stupid question, but where can I find the .desktop file that goes along with codeblocks?

#9 2012-10-22 01:46:48

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

That depends on the launcher/toolbar to a degree.  I've never used Mate or gnome, but the most common places are /usr/share/applications/ or ~/.local/share/applications/

In the .desktop files in those folders there are instructions on which command to run when that item is selected in a launcher, toolbar, or on a desktop icon.  There is also a line to say which icon should be displayed for it.  Changing that line to your custom icon should do the trick.

#10 2012-10-22 01:50:09

Hurricane

It's always the stupid things that get us. I totally forgot to uninstall the icon theme and then re-install it after I added the new icon into the set. It's perfect now.

#11 2012-10-22 02:14:36

WonderWoofy

Don't forget to mark this as [Solved], Hurricane.

#12 2012-10-22 03:17:31

Hurricane

WonderWoofy wrote:

Don't forget to mark this as [Solved], Hurricane.

Lol I haven't I got sidetracked but thanks for the reminder. tongue

Board footer