You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-22 08:06:19

boblitz13

[SOLVED] HP LaserJet P1102w detection

I have an HP LaserJet P1102w printer that hp-check will not recognize. I figured out that this comes from a problem with HP making the absolutely absurd decision to enable "Smart" Install by default without providing a (reasonable) way to switch it off without Windows. I do not have access to a Windows machine at the moment and the Linux solution posted by dudinea is not working for me. For some reason, however, this Smart Install really seems to be biting Arch over other distributions (with some exceptions). For example, I'm dual booting Fedora and after some minimal configuration, Fedora recognizes the same printer and has no trouble printing with no reference to any smart install business. Why does Arch insist on reading it as a CD instead of a printer while other distros do not? I have all of the plugins installed relating to hplip and cups that I could find in the repos. Other than that, I'm not sure what to do. Any help would be much appreciated for my sake and that of anyone I might hit when I throw my printer out the window. big_smile

UPDATE:
I tried setting up the printer from the command line before starting X and usblp seems to recognize the printer properly. Any ideas as to why plugging the printer in after starting X seems to be a problem?

Last edited by boblitz13 (2012-10-23 04:42:08)

#2 2012-10-23 04:41:51

boblitz13

Re: [SOLVED] HP LaserJet P1102w detection

Well, I did even more looking and apparently foo2zjs is recommended for some HP printers. I removed hplip, installed system-config-printer-gnome and foo2zjs, and configured it from there. Now my printer is working fine even after starting X.

Board footer