You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-23 15:45:09

pareshverma91

Issues with keyboard backlight and fan for macbook pro late 2011 model

Hi, I am facing some issues with my arch installation.
a. The keyboard backlight is set to full. The keyboard light is set to 0 till end, but just before lightdm starts the keyboard's backlight is set to full brightness.
    Things tried: I can manually set the brightness level (currently use a script binded to a key to do so), but am not able to do so at boot. I currently use systemd for initialising. Adding a .service file in /etc/systemd/system/ is not helping. Moreover, I would like prevent the first change rather than resetting it.

b. I am not able to control the fan speed. Even though I would like to have the fan speed dependent on temperature, but no tool (macfancontrold etc are able to help) seems to work. Anyhow, can someone suggest how to directly change the fan speed.

Thanks

#2 2012-10-24 15:24:02

bodom_lx
Website

Re: Issues with keyboard backlight and fan for macbook pro late 2011 model

Hello there,

Not using Archlinux but I run Ubuntu on a Macbook Pro, so I can help with b.

In the directory /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/ you will find various files named fanX_something, where X is a number (usually 1 and 2) and something is a string like "output", "manual", etc.

First, you have to take manual control of the fans.
As root for each X you have,

echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fanX_manual

Then, you can change the fan speed.
For each X you have, input as root

echo 6200 > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fanX_output

Where 6200 is the maximum speed of the fans. Change that number to control the speed of the fans.
Hope it helps!

By the way, I am enhancing Allan McRae's old mbpfan project. More details here. I am working with two kind Archlinux users to make mbpfan run gracely on Archlinux as well. More details here.

#3 2012-10-25 11:53:36

pareshverma91

Re: Issues with keyboard backlight and fan for macbook pro late 2011 model

Thanks it helped. I ended up writing my own script and use cron and sleep to periodically check the status.
Any hint on keyboard backlight?

Board footer