You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-24 13:53:43

oldtimeyjunk
Website

Unable to format HDD with Gparted

Hello everyone.

I have a 500GB SATA hard drive which is connected to an external closure. In Gparted, when I create a new partition table, and then a new partition inside it, it reverts back to what it was - no partition table, and no partitions. The error Gparted gives me is "/dev/sdc: unrecognized disk label".

What am I doing wrong?

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition

#2 2012-10-24 14:00:31

alphaniner

Re: Unable to format HDD with Gparted

What am I doing wrong?

Failing to troubleshoot.  Try another application, another OS, bypassing the enclosure, etc.  My money's on the enclosure or the cable(s) connecting it.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#3 2012-10-24 14:02:39

oldtimeyjunk
Website

alphaniner wrote:

What am I doing wrong?

Failing to troubleshoot.  Try another application, another OS, bypassing the enclosure, etc.  My money's on the enclosure or the cable(s) connecting it.

I do have a big feeling it's the enclouse.

I had an older one (which eventually broke -- that teaches me to buy something worth 3 quid), which has two USB cables; one to connect, and a extra one for extra power. However, my new one only has one USB cable.

Could it be that the hard drive is not being fed enough power?

Last edited by oldtimeyjunk (2012-10-24 14:02:57)

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition

#4 2012-10-24 14:20:52

alphaniner

I've never heard of a USB-powered HDD enclosure, that actually sounds kinda cool.

As for the new one, there's a host of things that can go wrong with an enclosure.  Unless you have a DMM and the knowledge to use it, there's no telling.

If you have another cable, try that first.  Just a few weeks ago I connected a USB enclosure with a cable I had no reason to believe was bad... but it turned out it was.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#5 2012-10-24 14:22:17

Flemur

I cured that exact symptom - perhaps with a different cause - with "MiniTool Partition Wizard", which could see and manipulate the partitions just fine when gparted complained about the partition table and showed no partitions.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading." -- L.T.

#6 2012-10-24 14:34:19

WonderWoofy

I have a drive with a second usb for power.  I also have an external optical drive that is this way.  The external HDD does not seem to even remotely need the extra power, and the optical does not typically need it either.  The only time I use the secondary, and actually feel that I need it is when I am burning discs.  I have had a couple fail on me when burning with only one plug in.  But this could very well be a simple case of bad media or something.

I am with everyone else on this one.  Try a new cable and/or enclosure.  I got myself one of those SATA/PATA/IDE to USB adapters from Newegg (I think it was newegg, maybe microcenter) for like $20.  I also have an enxtra HDD encolusre that is housing a failing drive ATM.  I try to use the enclosure for anything over a single attachment.  But the multi-adapter is pretty great for quick and dirty accessability.  It is almost exactly like this one here. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6812156102

#7 2012-10-24 14:34:54

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

I have a 320G external USB hard drive with only one cable. They are quite common, and mine usually works well. I found that this drive did not work well if fed through a USB hub, however. It works best when plugged directly into a USB port with the shortest cable I have. Try a different port or a different cable.

#8 2012-11-06 04:43:25

nana03435

oldtimeyjunk wrote:

Hello everyone.

I have a 500GB SATA hard drive which is connected to an external closure. In Gparted, when I create a new partition table, and then a new partition inside it, it reverts back to what it was - no partition table, and no partitions. The error Gparted gives me is "/dev/sdc: unrecognized disk label".

What am I doing wrong?

Hi oldtimeyjunk,

Things become funny right now. Because I have the same problem with you. A SATA hard drive, a closure, and even an HP laptop same as you! Everything, every problem is same as you! And I try two hard drive, same problem. The only difference is that I have a doule cable, but the problem is still here.

If you have any idea, or if you already solve this problem, please please let me know.

Last edited by nana03435 (2012-11-06 04:46:23)

#9 2012-11-06 23:25:16

oldtimeyjunk
Website

nana03435 wrote:
oldtimeyjunk wrote:

Hello everyone.

What am I doing wrong?

Hi oldtimeyjunk,

Things become funny right now. Because I have the same problem with you. A SATA hard drive, a closure, and even an HP laptop same as you! Everything, every problem is same as you! And I try two hard drive, same problem. The only difference is that I have a doule cable, but the problem is still here.

If you have any idea, or if you already solve this problem, please please let me know.

You shouldn't be reviving old threads.
I never got to the bottom of it. The hard drive is currently in a drawer.
I may one day take my laptop's hard drive out, stick this one in, and install an OS on it. But, I don't have the time nor patience at the minute. So, right now, my 500GB Seagate has been relegated to a paperweight.

Board footer