You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-26 11:15:45

aamit

Cannot Boot Into Archlinux After Install

I'm trying to install Archlinux on my Lenovo Z570 laptop. I've already installed Windows on this computer, and I'm installing this in another partition I've created (created 3 partitions when I installed Windows with the default Windows tool).

I'm using a bootable USB drive and have tried both downloading the complete .ISO file and downloading the .ISO for the netinstall and booting through that. Both times I follow the steps in the install guide (as detailed https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … ion_Guide) and after I reboot the system, my computer does not boot into anything. I'm trying to use syslinux as my bootloader, although I've tried the steps with Grub and they don't produce any better results. Additionally I installed it with my friend (he installed on his computer) and he used syslinux so I'd just like to keep our system with similar configurations (so I'd like to make the install work with syslinux).

My partition table (extra partitions created with cfdisk) is laid out as:

sda1 primary ntfs
sda5 logical  ext4 bootable
sda6 logical  ext4
sda3 primary  FAT16 (empty formatted drive)
sda4 primary (windows)

I've set sda5 to be my root and sda6 to be my home. They are 15 and 85 gigabytes respectively.

My syslinux.cfg file (/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg) is the standard generated file modified such that
APPEND root=/dev/sda5 ro

for both arch and archfallback.

I've also tried the steps in (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … al_Install), specifically using the altmbr, by entering:
# printf '\x5' | cat /usr/lib/syslinux/altmbr.bin - | dd bs=440 count=1 iflag=fullblock conv=notrunc of=/dev/sda
However the results are the same.

I've tried the steps in the guide where it mentions setting acpi=off and booting - when looking at a terminal with a wall of text (that I can't move through). I can type but everything I've tried to type, but it always says "Cold not find kernel image: <text>", where <text> is whatever I entered. If I type "boot", it says "Invalid or corrupt kernel image."

I would greatly appreciate any help as I've been trying this for a while.

#2 2012-10-26 11:40:40

sml

Re: Cannot Boot Into Archlinux After Install

#3 2012-10-26 11:53:22

confusion-is-my-sedative

Personally I don't use syslinux, but I know that with grub you have an option to go into command mode and manually give the parameters from which to boot. It could be that syslinux also has such options. You might want to check the config through a live cd if the bootloader menu isn't coming up. It could also be the windows. I'd say that a few diagnostic commands from a livecd would be your best bet. Then you could copy the output to a usb thumb drive, and we'd have better info to assess the situation. Good luck.

Neither Socrates nor Jesus ever wrote a single thing, and it might be that their fame was extended by the relativism this provided.

#4 2012-10-26 11:55:21

aamit

Hi, I thought that too but I tried the commands in:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … _UEFI_mode
And there was no /sys/firmare/efi directory.

I'm not sure how to find out if I have a UEFI motherboard.

#5 2012-10-26 12:03:20

aamit

confusion-is-my-sedative wrote:

Personally I don't use syslinux, but I know that with grub you have an option to go into command mode and manually give the parameters from which to boot. It could be that syslinux also has such options. You might want to check the config through a live cd if the bootloader menu isn't coming up. It could also be the windows. I'd say that a few diagnostic commands from a livecd would be your best bet. Then you could copy the output to a usb thumb drive, and we'd have better info to assess the situation. Good luck.

Any advice on what diagnostics to run? All my config info I posted through viewing my system by inserting the USB drive and booting into a live Arch image - as it is there's nothing I can do by booting the computer without inserting this (or another live medium). Thanks.

#6 2012-10-26 12:29:43

aamit

UPDATE: In an attempt to double check to see if my motherboard used UEFI, I made ../sda1 bootable (same partition table layout as first post). Now when I boot, instead of getting Windows, I get the syslinux boot menu and can boot into arch. I'm not sure if this means I have a UEFI motherboard or what the exact cause is, but there it is. Unfortunately this means I can't boot into Windows, and while I intend to use arch exclusively (once I virtual box for Visual Studio), I'd still like to know why this happened. Thanks again.

Board footer