You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-13 01:15:49

dust
Website

need some help with this hdd

2 days ago my comp rebooted while loading up the windows partition. though np untill it booted to a disk error. so i load up with a knoppix boot and i can access the files on the disk just fine. reboot to a non-sys disk error this time. so i booted with the windows xp disk, went to recovery console, ran fixboot/fixmbr , rebooted and same shat!

downloaded arch iso. rebooted, repartitioned, reformated, installed windows first on disc0/part3 and rebooted...same damn thing...shrugged it off and went on with the arch install, install went fine. reboot, non-sys disk error!

figured something out, if i reboot with a windows bootable cd (in this case the windows xp cd) and not hit anything when it says "hit any key to boot from cd" it'll load straight into grub, and windows before i instealled arch. and from grub i can select either partition and either os will boot up without a care in the world. second i take out the bootable cd and try to boot, i get a non-sys disk error. i don't have a floppy drive in this box, so i know its not that tongue . the right disk is set as the primary master in bios, i can't figure what else to try.

Writing stories for a machine.

#2 2005-09-13 01:52:16

Euphoric Nightmare

Re: need some help with this hdd

Try restoring your MBR from a Manufacturer Disk if possible.  I had that problem a lot when i was reinstalling windows a lot, and overwriting grub and such.

#3 2005-09-13 04:02:34

dust
Website

How could I go about doing that?

Writing stories for a machine.

#4 2005-09-13 04:32:34

Euphoric Nightmare

If you have a seagate drive, you can download the iso for a bootable cd, and you can restore the mbr.  anything else...i have no idea.

Board footer